cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Combined TBDML/OSBDM Code

pgo
Senior Contributor V
Dear HCS12/HCS08 users,

I use a HCS12 processor board in undergraduate labs.  To support programming these we made a number of TBDML programmers.  It was reasonably straightforward to extend the use of these to HCS08 through some simple modification of the OSBDM code.  Unfortunately, this had the disadvantage of requiring the flash in the programming hardware to be changed when moving between programming HCS12 and HCS08 devices.

There has been some discussion on these forums about combining the OSBDM and TBDML code to produce a single more flexible programmer.

To make this easier I have produced a combined version of the TBDML/OSBDM code.  It is also necessary to have a modified windows driver file TBDML.dll so that Codewarrior will talk to the modified BDM which identifies itself as an OSBDM.  The OSBDM windows driver file remains unchanged since the software remains compatible with TBDML (at least as far as HCS08 devices).
This code is attached along with brief instructions.

Please let me know if this is useful or if you have other comments - preferably through this discussion board.

Good Luck!

USBDM_Snapshot_2008_2_19.zip

Message Edited by pgo on 2008-02-19 07:10 AM

Message Edited by pgo on 2008-02-19 07:10 AM
Message Edited by t.dowe on 2009-07-28 11:21 AM
0 Kudos
88 Replies

pgo
Senior Contributor V

0 Kudos

medi
Contributor I

Dear pgo,

Is it possible to use the USBDM V4 with JB16 JDWE 20 pin soic IC.

If yes, what should I do.Else which USBDM version is convenient with which CW version.

Note:I'm intending, mostly, to program the HCS08 series.

Best regards.

0 Kudos

pgo
Senior Contributor V

Dear Medi,

I don't recommend the JB16 versions of USBDM simply because of limited performance.

I suggest you look at the information provided for V3 USBDM.  Its a little overwhelming but information abut a JB16 version is provided here:

http://opax.swin.edu.au/~3340694/USBDM/USBDM_V3.2/USBDM/html/index.html

There is a full circuit for a simple JB16 based version .  This can also be used with the V4 USBDM firmware but I suggest you try V3 at the moment as V4 has some (I hope) minor issues.

bye

0 Kudos

carloscuevas
Contributor III
You are helping me a lot, thank you. And what about using a JM16 (I have Multilink BDM) have you thought of compiling a version for the LQFP 32 pin device in order to use exclusively the pins that this device has and to have a full featured USBDM in a smaller package? To flash the bootloader do I flash the same JM60 Bootloader? If not: How can I modify the JM60 Bootloader in order to make it work with JM16. Thank you very much and sorry If my questions have already been answered somewhere else, I read some topics and could not find them.
0 Kudos

pgo
Senior Contributor V

Dear carloscuevas,

The JMxx version  of the USBDM included support for the MC9S08JM60CLC hardware.  Is the JM16 in the same package?  If so then just use the image that goes with the above - it is less than 16K and should be compatible.  Refer to the accompanying schematic for the wiring & a PCB layout.

bye

Message Edited by pgo on 2009-09-11 02:36 PM
0 Kudos

slyrye
Contributor I

Sir pgo:

Thank you for your rapid response, I did assemble your TBDML (soic20) abd downloaded the image file using USBICP from AN2399 software, where will I go from here? my apologies for my ignorance i used to program AVR and PIC using their development studios but I'm totally an amateur when comes to freescale but I like 16bit architectures and wanting to migrate some of my projects, thanks in advance!!!!

Trully,

Ryan

0 Kudos

slyrye
Contributor I
I'd like to program my newly discovered chip MC9S12C64MFAE with TBDML using JB16 minimal soic20 hardware how can i do this?
0 Kudos

pgo
Senior Contributor V

Dear slyrye,

I'm a bit unclear what you are asking.

The USBDM is designed to be used with HCS12 codewarrior software. An evaluation version can be downloaded from the Freescale website. 

If you are using a commercial board with the 9S12 chip then it should have the required BDM connector that matches the connector of the BDM.  If doing your own board then you should provide the required connections to Gnd, Vcc, BKGD and reset pins.  The 9S12 also requires an external crystal, resistors and capacitors I believe.

If the above doesn't help then please re-ask your question with a bit more detail :smileyhappy:

bye 

0 Kudos

slyrye
Contributor I

Thank you Sir for your response I have ordered some chips and designed my own board, I'd like to burn my chip MC9S12C64MFAE with an S-file image with minimal soic20 hardware how can i do this?, can it be use as a stand-alone programmer to burn an image S-file? what software do I need Sir?

Yours Trully,

Ryan

0 Kudos

pgo
Senior Contributor V

Dear Ryan,

Sorry - The USBDM hardware does not  program devices!  The software used with the BDM does the programming.  The BDM just provides a means to download to target RAM and control the execution of programs in the target.

I would suggest you look at using the special edition of the codewarrior software  for program development and programming.  This is available free.

bye

0 Kudos

slyrye
Contributor I

Thank you sir for enlightenment does it mean I can still burn my S-file image into a target 9SC12 chip and

store it into its program or data memory, using CodeWarrior and TBDML hardware I built based on your JB16 soic20 minimal programmer? My apologies I still have Hangover from PICKIT picmicro Burner for it can store hex-files and 

can be used as a stand-alone programmer-burner for PIC MCU's.

Yours Trully,

Ryan

Message Edited by slyrye on 2009-10-30 01:11 PM
0 Kudos

pgo
Senior Contributor V

Dear Ryan,

I believe the Codewarrior software allows the programming of a bare S-file but I haven't actually done this.

I've always been developing the software from scratch using the IDE.

Where does your S-file come from?

bye

Message Edited by pgo on 2009-11-05 12:32 PM
Message Edited by pgo on 2009-11-05 12:32 PM
0 Kudos

slyrye
Contributor I
Sir it is from freescale it's called Ser1toMon.abs bootloader thank you I belive it is an abs-file not an s-file
0 Kudos

pgo
Senior Contributor V

Dear Ryan,

It is possible to program a .abs file into a 9C12C target using the Codewarrior software and a TBDML or USBDM.

It may be necessary to create a dummy project to do so.

bye

0 Kudos

pgo
Senior Contributor V

New Version of USBDM Firmware

Dear All,

There is a new version of the USBDM firmware available in this thread:

USBDM - Version 2 (JB16 Version) 

You might also be interested in the JS12 or JMxx versions:

USBDM - Version 2 (JS16/JMxx Versions)

If you want a simple BDM then I recommend the JS16.  This has all the advantages of the previous JB16 version of OSBDM/USBDM (ability to be programmed over USB & convenient SOIC package) as well as being USB2 Full speed.  It is also available as a sample from Freescale :smileyhappy:.

If you want a full-featured BDM then I recommend the JMxx version.

Please only post questions here that relate to version 1.x of the firmware.

bye

Message Edited by pgo on 2009-11-05 12:30 PM
0 Kudos

thiag007
Contributor I

Hi PGO,

Long back i got some inputs from you and i created a USBDM with JB16 device.I soldered everything its working fine.

In device manager of XP os i am getting the VID_0425&PID_ff02

But i cannot install the driver for initial programming of MC9S08JB1 as stated in AN2399 app note.

Can you send the working driver for USBICP for windows XP.

please help me

with regards

thiag

0 Kudos

pgo
Senior Contributor V

Dear thiag,

Search for AN2399 in the search box at the top of the current page :smileyhappy:

A link for the software and app note appears as the first item.

It isn't my software so I shouldn't redistribute.

bye

0 Kudos

xtronics
Contributor I

My goal is to write in Assembly(not C) for a MC9S08QE4CWL using the linux version of CodeWarrior_MCU_10.0 on a i86_64(AMD64) box. Will the driver build and run on a I86_64 box?

The latest Linux based code-warrior appears to have these problems:

1- PEsrv has to run under wine (may or may not work - I don't think I need it as I write my own port-config code)

2- The debug data base fails on i86_64 (this could force me to get a i86 box? )

3- codewarrior fails to build a i86_64 driver for the P&E usb-BDM

Is the bare board or built board available from anyone?

If not, If someone can send me the gerbers I will get 100 boards made to share with this forum.

0 Kudos

pgo
Senior Contributor V

Dear xtronics,

This is probably not the best forum for (most) of your questions:

My goal is to write in Assembly(not C) for a MC9S08QE4CWL using the linux version of CodeWarrior_MCU_10.0 on a i86_64(AMD64) box. Will the driver build and run on a I86_64 box?

This forum is about TBDML - a HC(S)12 BDM - you are interested in a S08?

The latest Linux based code-warrior appears to have these problems:

1- PEsrv has to run under wine (may or may not work - I don't think I need it as I write my own port-config code)

This is the driver for a commercial BDM - try posting in the HCS08 general forum or contact P&E to obtain support or information about what platforms their BDM supports.

2- The debug data base fails on i86_64 (this could force me to get a i86 box? )

I have no idea but this is a Codewarrior V10 specific question - post on the Codewarrior forum to check if the 64-bit version is supported.

3- codewarrior fails to build a i86_64 driver for the P&E usb-BDM

See 1.

Is the bare board or built board available from anyone?

If not, If someone can send me the gerbers I will get 100 boards made to share with this forum.

Is this asking about USBDM boards?.  Please see the latest thread about this Opensource BDM. See following posting.

bye

0 Kudos

carloscuevas
Contributor III

Hello, Im currently trying to help some friends that want to be able to program HCS08 very cheaply, I know that when they discover that Freescales microcontrollers are great they wont hesitate buying he USB Multilink BDM, but for now, I need to provide them a very cheap alternative with parts that can be found in electronic stores here in Mexico. Unfortunatley aor best electronic store mas stopped selling the JB16 and the only one available is the JB8, Could the JB16 s19 file be written to the JB8 and make it work ? What alternative do I have for a very easy-to-find (and cheap) chips in order to build a BDM programmer?

Thank you very much

0 Kudos