Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When copying an ntag 424 DNA chip

Jump to solution
nxplover
Contributor I

Hello Community team,

I'm considering using an authentication tag, such as the NTAG 424 DNA chip, for my product, and I have a question about its ability to prevent copying, I would like to create a secure solution, but I am concerned about the safety of the URL generated by the NTAG 424 DNA chip.

I have heard that the value changes every time the Read operation is performed due to security measures.

However, wouldn't copying the changed value itself and putting it in a different tag compromise the security measures?

I would appreciate your response to this question.

Thank you

nxplover

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
KellyLi
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello @nxplover 

If you're more interested in this topic, then please establish an NDA with NXP by going to  https://www.nxp.com/support/support:SUPPORTHOME and select "Request an NDA"

After the NDA is finished, you'll obtain documentation what you're interested.

Best Regards,

kelly

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
KellyLi
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello @nxplover 

Thanks for contacting us and interested in the NXP products. Based on your description and as far as what I understand, you want to store the same URL in the different tags, right? This is ok, the so-called changes mean the Authentication, encryption and key different and leads to the message change when the user write or read the tags. 

To update this case, you may reply by email.
To provide confidential information or attachments, you may add that online.

Please login to our NXP technical support portal:
https://support.nxp.com/s/case/5002p00002s3uwyAAA

The portal allows access to the full details of the case, including the previous communication.

Thank you for your interest in NXP Semiconductor products and for the opportunity to serve you.

Best regards,
Kelly
Technical Support
NXP Semiconductor

0 Kudos
nxplover
Contributor I

Dear Kelly

Thank you for your response.

I have a question regarding the use of tags with URL data. I understand that even if the same value is written in the tag, it can be read differently each time due to encrypted data when reading.

I am wondering at RF hijacking this encrypted data and copying it to another tag. Would this copied value also be authenticated as a genuine tag, and is there any security in place to protect the encrypted signal from such hijacking?

I would like to clarify the point that this tag cannot be copied.

Best regards

Junho kim

0 Kudos
KellyLi
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello @nxplover 

Your concerns are generally not going to happen. We have some documentation that should help you understand, but as you know this is a security product, document is only available under DNA. So, if you're interested in this product, please establish an NDA with NXP.

Best Regards,

kelly

0 Kudos
nxplover
Contributor I

Dear Kelly,

Thank you for your response.

I'm still having trouble understanding why I shouldn't be concerned about the issue I'm worried about. For example, in the case of an access control system, I believe that even if you don't know the original data required to enter a door, you can still gain access with the information communicated when entering the door.

I would like to apply this security solution to projects such as genuine authentication (e.g. vaccine). However, is it safe to replicate all communication information like an access control system?
Is this perhaps a limitation of RFID in authentication systems?

In terms of replicability, I don't think there is much difference between using NFC tags or QR codes in an authentication system. I going to use the NXP424 DNA chip for my authentication system. Are there any specific advantages to using this chip more than QR codes, or is it better than QR codes because of the security solutions provided by NXP?

Best regards

nxplover

0 Kudos
KellyLi
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello @nxplover 

If you're more interested in this topic, then please establish an NDA with NXP by going to  https://www.nxp.com/support/support:SUPPORTHOME and select "Request an NDA"

After the NDA is finished, you'll obtain documentation what you're interested.

Best Regards,

kelly

0 Kudos