cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PN7462 - Using as stand alone to communicate with ISO7816 card

phanids
Contributor I

Hi NXP team,

I am planning to use PN7462 to communicate to ISO7816 card (smart card). I purchased some USB based smart card reader and I can communicate it from PC. Regarding this I have few basic doubts.

1. Is it possible to replicate same kind of interface using PN7462? I would send the APDU from PN7462 and get the response. Does this need external controller to communicate to PN7462 (via SPI)? Or is this possible with ONLY PN7462 independently?

2. I downloaded MCUExpresso and example code. When I open the sample code ( of PN7462AU_ex_phExPos) I do not see any main function which will initialize the 7462 peripherals etc.

3. Basically I want to use PN7462 custom board to communicate to smart card in contact mode. So which IDE and which reference code (or example) could be referred.

4. Also which debugger I need to use (I have brought out SWDIO, SWDCLK, Vcc (3.3v), and Gnd brought out. Also I have Toshiba TEA CMSIS-DAP debugger with me (which I used in last NXP project)

Any pointers on this would be great help to me. 

With best regards,

//Pha

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies

Fabian_R
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello, Sir.

I appreciate your interest in our products.

Yes, in case you have purchased our PN7462 Evaluation Board, it is possible to perform as a smart card reader with the use of our NFC Reader Library examples.

In fact, there is a case for contact cards that send APDU commands. Please take a look at: "PN7462AU_ex_phExCT7816_mcux".

Thus IC (PN7462) stands alone, there is a version that is sold with LPC Link2, This is a debugger that connects directly to the PN7462 and flashes the bin file.

For further information, I recommend you to please take a look at our Quick Start Guide.

Best Regards,
Fabian
0 Kudos

phanids
Contributor I

Hi Fabian,

Thanks a lot for your message. This helps me to narrow down my development setup. I have couple of question to start my venture into PN7462.

1. When I search to purchase the development kit https://www.nxp.com/products/rfid-nfc/nfc-hf/nfc-readers/nfc-controller-development-kit:OM27462CDKP I see 2 options

(a) This seems to be around 310US$ and 

(b) Below one seems to be around 150US$

Which one is better for me? Option b would be ideal as it is cheaper and I assume this is same as option a except, it may not have the antenna's etc. What do you suggest. 

2. I assume both of these (option a and b) have built in debugger adaptor right?

3. Also both would work in MCU Expresso IDE right? 

Basically I would like my firmware to talk to my 7816 card and take some actions like blinking an LED, sending details like Card is ok or not etc. using some standard APDU commands.

With best regards,

//P

0 Kudos

Fabian_R
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello sir,
The 150$ option only includes the PN7462 evaluation board, Let me clarify that both options contain the exact same board. The difference is the additional content from one or the other. What I strongly recommend is to purchase also, the LPC-Link2 debugger. Since is recommended for flashing the PN7462 evaluation board.
The additional material is very useful for antenna design prototyping and, the 5 pn7462 ICs can be used for creating the prototype of a full solution and, not only the antenna matching circuit.

Best Regards,
Fabian
0 Kudos

phanids
Contributor I

Hi Fabian,

Thanks for your clarifications. As I understand 

1. Both the boards (150US$ and 300US$) are same except the 300US$ board as antenna's (which would be very useful for us) and extra 5 pieces of PN7462's for experimentation. Is this my understanding correct?

2. LPC-Link2 debugger is not part of both these boards - is this correct? So I need to buy this from https://www.nxp.com/part/OM13054#/ 

3. I assume McuExpresso IDE would be good for both these boards and works with this LPC-Link2 debugger - am I right in my assumption?

Thanks again Fabian.

With Best Regards, 

//P

0 Kudos

Fabian_R
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello sir,

I'm very sorry for the misunderstanding. The $150 one doesn't contain the LPC-Link2, the $300 (OM27462CDKP) one does.

Best Regards,
Fabian
0 Kudos

phanids
Contributor I

Hi All,

Seems I stumbled upon some details and so some more doubts.

1. Feel PN7462 can work independently - when pin DWL_REQ is pulled to ground

2. I also found a project source code from NC Cockpit configuration tool for NFC IC (this contains NxpNfcRdLib_PN7462_v0.6.10.00_Pub) and this contains phExCT7816 project. This seems to be correct for my contact card application.

3. I was able to compile this code in McuExpresso - but not sure, how do I need to configure the debugger to use this (I have only  TEA CMSIS-DAP debugger with me (which I used in last NXP project)). Any suggestion for me on this?

4. Also if I need to configure some GPIO to toggle an LED or Serial port to configure for my communication, how should I do it?

Thanks a lot,

//Pha

0 Kudos