Is there an Android App that will read AND write an NHS3100?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there an Android App that will read AND write an NHS3100?

stevewald
Contributor III

The NXP TagWriter App and the NFC Tools app will not write to NHS3100 tags. NFC Tools flags the tag as NTAG 206. My reader is a Samsung S4A with Android version 5.01. Either tool can read the tag's contents, but neither can write - they try and don't complain, but when I read the tag again, nothing was written at all.

I am using the app_demo_dp_ndeft2t firmware on the tag and wonder about that. This project claims to be able to parse NDEF messages written from NFC enabled Android phone, but all I see in the code is a bunch of trace_printf() statements for each type of NDEF. Does the tag need some hooks in the FW to be writable by the reader device? Is there an example demo that can actually write a message to the tag, overwriting the previous contents or not?

Where is the list of "Recommended Android Applications" linked to in the NHS31xx SW API > Modules > Applications > ndevt2t document of the SDK? The link just loops back to itself!

Steve

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies

driesmoors
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,

This is what is listed in the HTML documentation of SDK 11.2:

pastedImage_1.png

Keep in mind that the NHS3100 NTAG SmartSensor IC is using the NFC controller for communication purposes: when the phone writes to the tag, the firmware running on the ARM is responsible for reading out that data, and to generate a meaningful response. After a restart (when leaving the low power state Deep Power Down, or after leaving Power-off), the contents of the NFC memory have been cleared and reset with an NDEF message generated by the firmware application.

Also, the demo app app_example_dp_ndeft2t assumes you are using the NHS3100 demo PCB with a battery inserted. It is meant to show how a firmware developer can parse and generate NDEF records.

Best,
Dries.

0 Kudos

stevewald
Contributor III

Dries,

Please. I know about the TagWriter and TagInfo Apps and those are what I am using.

What I tried to say was that NFC TagWriter writes to the tag, but the tag doesn’t store it. I am keeping the tag powered, but removing field from the tag before reading again to see if the new message was stored.

My understanding from your community message #1020255 to Madhu Siddalingaiah, 6/2/18 was that SDK 11 implements a ‘script-like’ sequence to generate new NDEF messages implemented under the GenerateNextAutomaticCommand() function. It seems to me that the GNAC ‘script’ could also generate a command for the tag to store the newly created message into firmware space or wherever it needs to be for the tag to present it upon the next read.

I was also hoping for some clues for plugging the GNAC function into the ndeft2t example. I found the use of GNAC in the tlogger code rather convoluted. My attempt to rewrite tlogger, by removing the temperature logging, was a miserable fail.

Steve

0 Kudos