Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MBDT support for S32K348 289BGA

Jump to solution
embedded_dan73
Contributor I

Hello to all the NXP Community.

Probably a silly question from my side...

After some period successfully working on S32K3XEVB-172, we are evaluating to pass to S32K348 for a new project. The idea is to use the S32K348GHT1MJBST, that is the version in 289 BGA package.

We would like to create our own prototype and working on it with MBDT, and I'm evaluating if this device is fully supported.

Under the Hardware Implementation Tab in the project configuration, I see that only S32K348-Q172 is selectable, no BGA reference is available:

embedded_dan73_0-1715151222362.png

So I tried this:

- I selected the S32K348-Q172 device

- I opened the corresponding configuration template under S32 Configuration Tool (I don't have Tresos)

- In S32 Configuration Tool I modified the package in order to match the 289 BGA and saved the configuration as a new .mex file

- Then in the hardware implementation tab I used this new .mex file as Configuration Template for my project

Is this a correct approach? Or I have to consider that BGA package is not supported at all?

Or is there a different approach for BGA device?

Thanks in advance for your help.

With best regards,

Daniel

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Irina_Costachescu
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello @embedded_dan73 

Indeed, inside MBDT for S32K3 we offer only the option of selecting the S32K348 in the Q172 pins package. The approach you have followed is the recommended one in this use case, as the only difference between applications created for the S32K348 in the 172, and 289 pins package respectively, is represented by the configuration project associated to the model.

Since you would also like to use MBDT with a custom hardware design, that would need a pins, clocks, and peripherals configuration different than the one we provide as default inside the toolbox, creating your own .mex file and using it as a Configuration Template is the easiest way to work under such a scenario.

Please let us know if you encounter any other limitations/issues while working on this.

Thank you,
Irina

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
embedded_dan73
Contributor I

Hello @Irina_Costachescu ,

thanks for your feedback, glad to see I followed the right way.

For the moment I'm not encountering issues, but actually I haven't still the real hardware with me, I started with modeling while waiting for first prototype samples. I'll let you know for eventual troubles.

Thanks, best regards.

Daniel

0 Kudos
Irina_Costachescu
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello @embedded_dan73 

Indeed, inside MBDT for S32K3 we offer only the option of selecting the S32K348 in the Q172 pins package. The approach you have followed is the recommended one in this use case, as the only difference between applications created for the S32K348 in the 172, and 289 pins package respectively, is represented by the configuration project associated to the model.

Since you would also like to use MBDT with a custom hardware design, that would need a pins, clocks, and peripherals configuration different than the one we provide as default inside the toolbox, creating your own .mex file and using it as a Configuration Template is the easiest way to work under such a scenario.

Please let us know if you encounter any other limitations/issues while working on this.

Thank you,
Irina

0 Kudos