MBDT for S32k3 uing P&E Multilink

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MBDT for S32k3 uing P&E Multilink

avinashstarkenn
Contributor III

So I have been using MBDT for programming S32k3xx microcontroller.

Can you please guide how to use P&E Multilink universal debugger to flash code.

I want to know following points-

1. How to connect the debugger to EVB.

2. What setting in MBDT we should change/configure for using this debugger.

0 Kudos
4 Replies

georgevictor
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello, @avinashstarkenn,

Thank you for using MBDT on your applications.

The S32K3xx toolbox supports download via a variety of methods, which are detailed below:

• Embedded Debugger
    • Most EVBs have a built-in OpenSDA debugger that can be used via USB cable to download the application onto the board via the JTAG protocol.
  • USB Multilink External Debugger
    • The P&E Multilink debug probe can be used to download the application through the JTAG interface of the board via the  JTAG protocol.
    • It is required to install the P&E Multilink drivers from https://www.pemicro.com/ 
  • J-Link Debugger
    • The SEGGER J-Link debug probe can be used to download the application onto the board via the JTAG interface.
    • It is required to install the J-Link Software https://www.segger.com/downloads/jlink/

Regarding your questions, I will respond in the order in which they were addressed:

1. Most EVB’s have multiple JTAG interfaces(10 or 20 pins) that can be used with the P&E Multilink debug probe.

I'll use the S32K3X4EVB-Q172 Evaluation Board as an example:

georgevictor_0-1692348382451.png

The board has a 20-pin JTAG ARM connector, which can be used together with the Multilink debug probe to download your application. Check the schematic for your specific EVB to determine which type of connector you have. It is connected to the MCU's JTAG_TMS, JTAG_TCLK, JTAG_TDO, and JTAG_TDI pins, as shown in the S32K3X4EVB-Q172 schematic:

georgevictor_1-1692348403273.png

1. In the MBDT toolbox for S32K3, open the model settings to select one of the download methods presented above. The Type dropdown in the Download section allows you to select the desired download method. 

georgevictor_2-1692348403330.png

In your case, you must select the first option, which can be used for both an external USB Multilink debugger and the EVB's embedded OpenSDA debugger. Please ensure that you click the Apply button once you've made the desired changes.

I'll add that the majority of the examples included with the toolbox have been tested on EVBs with embedded debuggers, and the USB Multilink/Embedded Debugger - JTAG option is selected by default in each example.

Please let us know if this helped you.

Best regards,

Victor

0 Kudos

avinashstarkenn
Contributor III
Which connector on Multilink to be used?
0 Kudos

georgevictor
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi, @avinashstarkenn,

You need to find a debug interface on your EVB based on the information from my previous post.

After locating an available debug interface on the EVB, locate the same interface type on the P&E Multilink debug probe and make the wire connection.

Have a nice day,

Victor

0 Kudos

avinashstarkenn
Contributor III

Can the guide how to flash and debug using SWD connection?

0 Kudos