Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flash .mot (or .elf) file to S32K144 without building in simulink

Jump to solution
gramirezv
Contributor III

Hi,

I'd like to know if there is a way to flash a .mot file generated previously with simulink.

Right now what I do is that I have to build the project in simulink with my s32k144 evb connected, so after the build the application is downloaded to the target.

I'd like to know if there is a way to flash the .mot or .elf file generated in the *_rtw directory without having to rebuild the application in simulink, this way I can generate the application in one computer and send the generated application and flash it in another computer without using simulink.

Thanks in advance.

1 Solution
dumitru-daniel_
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi gramirezv‌,

Indeed, by default the toolbox copy the mot file over the mass storage device.

I was looking for instructions on how to do this, because when I used one of the FRDM boards from NXP I had to enter boot mode (power-up + reset button), then copy the file then reboot. Do you know where can I find more info on this for the S32K144 evaluation board?

Please check here: https://www.nxp.com/support/developer-resources/evaluation-and-development-boards/ultra-reliable-dev...

If you need more info about the boot process you need to check the S32K144 MCU Reference Manual: 

If I used the second method, how do I build the application with RAppID bl support?

If you select in the "Connection Tab" the UART method, then the appropiate linker file with RBF support is selected during the build process. You can easily check that by looking into the linker file. It should have a boot data section added compared with a standard linker file used for normal download over OpenSDA.

Best regards,
Daniel

View solution in original post

3 Replies
dumitru-daniel_
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi kike‌,

Yes, there are options. At least 3 methods i can think of:

1. If you have a OpenSDA then you can simply copy-paste the *.mot file over the mass storage device in Windows OS
  2. If you have only CAN/UART access to the MCU, then you can use the RAppID Bootloader (can be found under tools forder or here) to program the elf to the target (you need to built the application in Simulink with rappid bl support)
  3. If you have JTAG, then you can use any IDE that supports S32K devices to load the elf into the target. You can use the S32 Design Studio or IAR just to flash the elf.

Hope this helps!

Daniel

gramirezv
Contributor III

Hi dumitru-daniel.popa‌, thanks for your prompt reply!

From the three options I think the first one is the easiest since I don't need to modify anything in my workflow.

I assume that the MBDT for S32K1xx uses this method when building the app then it flashes it into the board to the target when the "Download Code after Build" and OpenSDA drive is selected and I see that the board is rebooted as the last step. 

I was looking for instructions on how to do this, because when I used one of the FRDM boards from NXP I had to enter boot mode (power-up + reset button), then copy the file then reboot. Do you know where can I find more info on this for the S32K144 evaluation board?

If I used the second method, how do I build the application with RAppID bl support?

Thanks a lot! 

0 Kudos
dumitru-daniel_
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi gramirezv‌,

Indeed, by default the toolbox copy the mot file over the mass storage device.

Please check here: https://www.nxp.com/support/developer-resources/evaluation-and-development-boards/ultra-reliable-dev...

If you need more info about the boot process you need to check the S32K144 MCU Reference Manual: 

If you select in the "Connection Tab" the UART method, then the appropiate linker file with RBF support is selected during the build process. You can easily check that by looking into the linker file. It should have a boot data section added compared with a standard linker file used for normal download over OpenSDA.

Best regards,
Daniel