GTM in MPC5777M

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GTM in MPC5777M

axelrietschin
Contributor II

I'd like some clarification regarding the Generic Timer Module included in the MPC5777M.

Do I understand correctly that I have to purchase the GTM Configuration Tool ($4K) to generate the GTM configuration code? It does not seem realistic to work with only the reference manual.

Also, do I understand correctly that the GTM Configuration Tool tool only supports the HighTec®, Wind River®, and Green Hills® compilers, and not the free NXP S32 Design Studio IDE tool suite?

Is the GTM Configuration Tool generating code for the MCU, or code that gets loaded into the GTM itself which (likely?) requires a special toolset, in which case what if the cost of the GTM toolset? Is that in addition to the $4000 for the GTM Configuration Tool itself?

I had a look at AN4351. Is there another AN or sample(s) demonstrating how to implement engine sync (angle clock) with the GTM? I eyeballed GTM104 and there is only one mention of 'crank signal' on page 477. Does the GTM configuration tool make it easy to configure any crank/cam patterns for engine sync?

I hope to be wrong but this seems to put the most interesting MPC5777M completely out-of-reach of makers and inventors.

Thanks for any answers!

Axel

Tags (1)
3 Replies

vyacheslavvasy1
Contributor I

Hello Axel!

According your GTM question:

I had a look at AN4351. Is there another AN or sample(s) demonstrating how to implement engine sync (angle clock) with the GTM? I eyeballed GTM104 and there is only one mention of 'crank signal' on page 477. Does the GTM configuration tool make it easy to configure any crank/cam patterns for engine sync?

More detailed information (with GTM cookbook) about Bosch GTM IP-core you could find on developer site:

Generic Timer IP module (GTM) | Bosch Semiconductors & Sensors 

0 Kudos

martin_kovar
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Axel,

I am sorry for long delay, I will try to answer your questions.

Do I understand correctly that I have to purchase the GTM Configuration Tool ($4K) to generate the GTM configuration code? It does not seem realistic to work with only the reference manual.

Theoretically, you do not have to buy this tool, but as you wrote, it will be very complicated to write the configuration code without this tool.

Also, do I understand correctly that the GTM Configuration Tool tool only supports the HighTec®, Wind River®, and Green Hills® compilers, and not the free NXP S32 Design Studio IDE tool suite?

Yes, this is correct, but because S32DS IDE uses gcc compiler (as well as HighTec) it is possible to compile the code from GTM Configuration Tool using S32 Design Studio.

Is the GTM Configuration Tool generating code for the MCU, or code that gets loaded into the GTM itself which (likely?) requires a special toolset, in which case what if the cost of the GTM toolset? Is that in addition to the $4000 for the GTM Configuration Tool itself?

GTM Configuration Tool generates .c and .h files which must be compiled. As I wrote above, it should be possible to compile these files using S32 Design Studio (maybe it will be necessary to do some little changes). Just for information S32 Design Studio is free to use and there is no license needed.

I do not think there is another application note. About the second question, honestly, I do not know. GTM is module designed by Bosch and I have no experience with programming or working with the module.

Hope this help a little bit.

Regards,

Martin

vyacheslavvasy1
Contributor I

Hello Martin!

Could you help with GTM Configuration Tool - MPC5777M have GTM-core clock up to 100MHz and description for "GTM system clock" in GTM tool describes the possibilities to confugure no more than 100MHz (MPC5777M), but actually I could not set value more than 80MHz with message “Value must be in range [1.0E7-8.0E7] 1.0E8”.

Where I have mistake or is it a bug in GTM config tool?

0 Kudos