Are atomic write operations with reservation instructions possible on MPC57xx multicore derivatives to achieve mutual exclusion ?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are atomic write operations with reservation instructions possible on MPC57xx multicore derivatives to achieve mutual exclusion ?

martinschulthei
Contributor III

Dear NXP Support,

for our PPC OS we want to use reservation instructions (lwarx, stwcx) to implement the spinlock mechanism to achieve mutual exclusion between different cores. We want to solve it in software because of compatibility issues (not all controllers have a semaphore unit) and to evade the restriction of a limited number of configurable spinlocks.

Our solution looks as follows (Greenhills assembler macro on MPC5775K):

__asm uint32 AtomicSpinlockWrite(uint32 Addr, uint32 Value)
{
%reg Addr %con Value %lab NoSuccess, Success
  se_li   r5, Value      /* load value in r5 */
  lwarx   r3,0,Addr      /* load and reserve */
  e_cmpwi r3,0           /* if not eq 0 */
  se_bne  NoSuccess      /* spinlock locked, return 0*/
  stwcx.  r5,0,Addr      /* try to store non-0 */
  se_bne  NoSuccess      /* if lost reservation return 0 */
  se_li   r3, 1          /* else load return-value 1 */
  e_b Success            /* and goto Success */
NoSuccess:
   se_li  r3, 0          /* return 0 */
Success:
%error
}

Description:

We expect, that if Core0 executes lwarx and reads the value 0, it will proceed with writing the value 1 to the memory address. This write should work, if the value at address "Addr" has not been changed (e.g. by writing of another core) and it should fail otherwise. But currently this mechanism does not work. We checked it with the Lauterbach Debugger.

• Core0 executes lwarx --> reads value 0 in r3 and after comparison we stopped before execution of stwcx
  • Core1 executed lwarx --> reads value 0 (because Core0 has not written anything) in r3 and after comparison we stopped before execution of stwcx
  • In both Cores HID1[ATS] is 1, so reservation was done
  • Core0 executes the stwcx command, value 1 is written to addr and EQ is set in CR, so the write succeeds and we return 1
  • Core1 executes the stwcx command and even there it works, EQ is set and we return success, so both cores now have the spinlock - damn

Can you please explain where we did not understand the behavior of lwarx/stwcx or where our mistake is ?

Thanks in advance!

Best regards

Martin

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
8 Replies

lukaszadrapa
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

let me check this with design.

In case of MPC56xx devices, I can remember that the capability for the reservation instructions to work between two cores has been integrated only onto dual core MPC5676R. Devices like MPC5668x and MPC5643L supported the reservation instructions only on single core but not between the cores. The external reservation logic between the cores has not been implemented. So, it could be used, for example, to implement a semaphore to protect a shared memory region between multiple tasks that are executing on a single CPU.

I will let you know later how it is implemented on MPC5775K.

Regards,

Lukas

0 Kudos

martinschulthei
Contributor III

Hi Lukas,

are there any news regarding this issue ?

Thanks and best regards,

Martin

0 Kudos

lukaszadrapa
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Martin,

finally I received the confirmation from design team. MPC5775K does not have the reservation logic implemented between the cores.

I'm sorry for delay again...

Regards,

Lukas

0 Kudos

martinschulthei
Contributor III

Hi Lukas,

thank you for your reply, but that answers my question only partly.

Can you please tell me where I can find the according information (e.g. in the RM).

I need the information for several multicore derivatives because we provide a OS for nearly all MPC56xx and MPC57xx derivatives. So this information is very important for us.

Thanks and best regards,

Martin

0 Kudos

lukaszadrapa
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

I just got the confirmation - none of the MPC57xx series have the reservation logic implemented between cores.

Regards,

Lukas

0 Kudos

lukaszadrapa
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

I can see that this information is obviously not available in RM (neither RM for a device nor RM for a core).

In case of MPC56xx, it was implemented only on MPC5676R. I will try to ask also about other MPC57xx...

Lukas

0 Kudos

lukaszadrapa
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Sorry, still waiting :-( I will urge it.

Lukas

0 Kudos

martinschulthei
Contributor III

Hi Lukas,

first thanks for the answer. Can you tell me where we can find the according information in the Reference Manuals so that we can check which derivatives are affected by this topic ?

Thanks and best regards,

Martin

0 Kudos