DSP function in the Kinetis K1x series / MCX A series

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DSP function in the Kinetis K1x series / MCX A series

joehmin91
Contributor II

Hi, I'm a Hardware engineer, and i'm studying on Kinetis K1x series and MCX A series to apply on my new boards.
Got some questions on DSP functions of these Microcontrollers.

1. It says "DSP" in the block diagrm of Arm Cortex-M4 through recent architectures, just wanna know what this "DSP" really means.
I know there are just simple, basic instructions of DSP / DSP extension instruction set (which I know as a additional fuction that we can apply to a chip that has no DSP core in it) / and
DSP-function-blocks such as MAC or SIMD, etc.

Wonder what kind of  DSP function this "DSP" in the block diagram really represents.

(I couldn't find any mention on DSP function in the K10DX or K12DX series Datasheet, but only

"DSP" word on the block diagram )

2. Same questions on MCX A series which has Cortex-M33 in it.
The datasheet says "No DSP extension instruction set" on the first line, so does it mean MCX A have Nothing related to DSP function at all? or just simple instructions only as default?

4. At last, DSP extension instruction set is just some kind of "additional instructions" on the Microcontroller which has no DSP core, as I know so far.
Is that right? and DSP blocks such as MAC/SIMD have lower performance that DSP extension instruction set and DSP core?

It's kinda hard to fully understand what kind of DSP functions those chips have / if those chips have DSP functions at all , by just reading out Datasheets.

Thanks for reading the whole, long query.

Best regards.

Labels (3)
6 Replies

xiangjun_rong
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

Q1)It says "DSP" in the block diagrm of Arm Cortex-M4 through recent architectures, just wanna know what this "DSP" really means.
I know there are just simple, basic instructions of DSP / DSP extension instruction set (which I know as a additional fuction that we can apply to a chip that has no DSP core in it) / and
DSP-function-blocks such as MAC or SIMD, etc.

Wonder what kind of  DSP function this "DSP" in the block diagram really represents.

(I couldn't find any mention on DSP function in the K10DX or K12DX series Datasheet, but only

"DSP" word on the block diagram )

>>>>>>>>>The DSP means the DSP instruction set, which includes the Multiply and divide instructions and Saturating instructions.

I attach the UM of Cortex-M4, pls refer to section 3.6 the Multiply and divide instructions and section 3.7 Saturating instructions, they are DSP instruction set.

But the true DSP modulo feature is not supported by the DSP of cortex-Mx

Q2. Same questions on MCX A series which has Cortex-M33 in it.
The datasheet says "No DSP extension instruction set" on the first line, so does it mean MCX A have Nothing related to DSP function at all? or just simple instructions only as default?

>>>>>>>>>I suppose that the MCXN and MCXA all use the Cortex-M33 core, the Cortex-M33 core instruction set is scaled for the MCXA family.

I attach the DDI0553B_I_armv8m_arm.pdf, pls search "Armv8-M DSP Extension only", the instructions with "Armv8-M DSP Extension only" are not supported by the MCXA M33 core.

Q3) At last, DSP extension instruction set is just some kind of "additional instructions" on the Microcontroller which has no DSP core, as I know so far.
Is that right? and DSP blocks such as MAC/SIMD have lower performance that DSP extension instruction set and DSP core?

>>>>As I said in Q2, the " DSP extension instruction set" is instruction set from user perspective.

Hope it can help you

BR

XiangJun Rong

joehmin91
Contributor II

Thanks for your quick, and kind response. Just to make sure,

1. So the MCX A series doesn't have DSP instruction set such as Multiply, divide, or saturating instructions at all, right?

2. Not only Multiply, Divide, Saturation instructions, but also DSP extension instruction set can be can be added into Cortex-M4 (K1x series for example) ?  I found some sentences from white paper

0 Kudos

xiangjun_rong
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

I have confirmed with SE team, the Cortex-M33 of MCXA family(A14x/A15x) does not support DSP instruction set.

The Cortex-M4 of Kinetis family support DSP instruction set.

But we have not dedicated doc addressing the instruction set of MCXA family.

Hope it can help you

BR

XiangJun Rong

joehmin91
Contributor II

I was out of office last week, and i just checked your reply Thanks again for your confirmation..! 

0 Kudos

xiangjun_rong
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

I will double check the cortex-M33 instruction set of MCXA family with AE team and give you a reply next week.

BR

XiangJun Rong

xiangjun_rong
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

I attach the doc, hope it can help you

BR

XiangJun Rong