Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Minimal required setup for custom boards in the MCUXpresso VS Code plugin

Jump to solution
Maximvda
Contributor III

Hi,

We've been working with the MCUXpresso extension for VS Code for a while now and it works amazingly.
Until now we've always developed and tested on the MIMXRT1060-EVKB without any issues. However, now we are trying to move from this development board to our own hardware, using the MIMXRT1061xxxxB, and we are not sure how to do this correctly. 
Our issue is that the extension always requires an "xml" manifest file to detect the used sdk, cpu device, memory ... ?  These files exist for the evaluation boards but we have no clue how to create one for our custom board can anyone assist or give further information on this?

Kind regards,
Maxim

1 Solution
kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @Maximvda ,

MIMXRT1061xxxxx_flexspi_nor.ld is the linker file, which is used to configure your code memory location situation, and it will help you locate your app in the RT1060 external QSPI flash.

So, your usage is correct.

Wish it helps you!

If you still have questions about it, please kindly let me know.

If your question is solved, please tell me to close this case, and help me to fill the feedback as resolved,t hanks.

Any new issues, welcome to create the new question post, thanks.

Best Regards,

Kerry

View solution in original post

4 Replies
kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @Maximvda ,

That's good to hear you can use the CS code with MCUXPresso.

To your .xml situation, I think you don't need to modify it, as you use the EVK SDK for your customer board, so you can still use the default .xml for your customer board.

Wish it helps you!

Best Regards,

Kerry

Maximvda
Contributor III

@kerryzhou 

Thanks for the quick reply. So if I'm correct then we can simply generate the correct board.c/h, pin_mux.c/h ... files to use for our project and keep using the evkb xml file.

However, I think the linker file is not compatible between the evkb and our board. What would be the best way to generate this one? We generated one using the MCUXpresso IDE but that's not fully compatible in the VS Code plugin.

Kind regards,
Maxim

Maximvda
Contributor III
Quick update: We copied the linker file from within the sdk: "MIMXRT1061xxxxx_flexspi_nor.ld"

And we updated the stack and heap size and their location in memory according to what we previously had defined in the MCUXpresso IDE.
Everything seems to work but it would be nice if you could confirm this is the correct way.
kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @Maximvda ,

MIMXRT1061xxxxx_flexspi_nor.ld is the linker file, which is used to configure your code memory location situation, and it will help you locate your app in the RT1060 external QSPI flash.

So, your usage is correct.

Wish it helps you!

If you still have questions about it, please kindly let me know.

If your question is solved, please tell me to close this case, and help me to fill the feedback as resolved,t hanks.

Any new issues, welcome to create the new question post, thanks.

Best Regards,

Kerry