What is the purpose of the MCUXpresso Map File Editor?

キャンセル
次の結果を表示 
表示  限定  | 次の代わりに検索 
もしかして: 

What is the purpose of the MCUXpresso Map File Editor?

1,144件の閲覧回数
rshipman
Contributor V

By default, MCUXpresso IDE associates .map files with its Map File Editor.

This tool seems to be a bit buggy and cannot handle large .map files (~15MBytes) without long delays or the JVM running out of memory. At least on my machine - Windows 10, 16GBytes of RAM. My colleague's Windows 7 machine with 12 GBytes RAM did not get these excessive delays (but obviously it still took time to read the file). We could not see any obvious/related difference in the MCUXpresso settings. Nearly all settings are the default anyway.

MCUXpresso seems to need to process the .map files whenever it opens a workspace (containing a project with a large .map file), as well as when building and debugging the project. And debugging rarely recovered.

I have to associate all .map files to Text Editor to prevent this problem.

What would be really useful is some documentation to tell me why we need a Map File Editor?

- What errors is it looking for that the compiler/linker do not find?

- What is the purpose of 'editing' a .map file when it is just the human-readable translation of the binary?

- What else does it provide?

I don't want to blindy disable a tool that could potentially be very useful.

I didn't find anything obvious when I searched google or the MCUXpresso help pages.

Thanks!

タグ(3)
0 件の賞賛
返信
1 返信

1,057件の閲覧回数
lpcxpresso_supp
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Map files are not binary, they rather plain text. But they contain a huge amount of information about the actual result of building your project, and the way that your code and data has been placed in memory.

Map file awareness is designed to assist users who are using the linker map file to carry out an analysis of their generated image. The awareness is a navigation aid rather than intended to be used for editing linker map files. In this they complement the information provided by the Image Info view (which is also partially derived from the linker map file contents).

Our next IDE release, due towards the end of the year, will provide further performance and functional enhancements to map file awareness, on top of those provided already in MCUXpresso IDE v11.0.1.

Regards,

MCUXpresso IDE Support

0 件の賞賛
返信