Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pins and Clocks on a KDS imported Project

Jump to solution
joao_ribeiro
Contributor IV

Hello,

First of all I should take a moment to show my appreciation to the tutorial on migrating KDS to MCUXpresso ( MCUXpresso IDE: Importing Kinetis Design Studio Projects | MCU on Eclipse). It was very helpful on transporting from an existing project to the new MCUXpresso. It was spot on and the code is working now. So thank you

But on this sequence, having now a running KDS project on MCUXpresso, I was wondering on the ways to fully use the abilities of the MCUXpresso with my KDS old project. More specifically on using Pins and Clock that MCUXpresso adds in as a very good tool. So questions are:

• Is there any chance to have a tool that reads the current code and imports all the pins and cloks to the MCUXpresso Pins and clocks? I believe that my KDS project did not have Processor Expert.
  • If not, is there any tutorial on good practices for organizing and importing old code (from KDS) to MCUXpresso and all its tools?

Thank you very much for the help

Regards

1 Solution
BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello,

I'm affraid that the move from KDS with Processor Expert and the SDK 1.x to the MCUXpresso IDE and SDK 2.x is really not straight forward. The approach, architecture and API of the SDK is fundamentally different, so translating this in a reliable way by some tools would be really challenging. So realisticly there won't be such an importer tool.

As for a tutorial about moving code: the most straighforward way is to create a new MCUXpresso SDK project, add the needed drivers (UART, SPI, I2C, ...) and then port over the application code. This is very specific to the application code, so hard to give any general guidance.

The other approach at least for Processor Expert based projects is to use the library in GitHub - ErichStyger/McuOnEclipseLibrary: Library of McuOnEclipse components . It uses wrappers and drivers compatible to the MCUXpresso SDK 1.x and 2.x (this is what is moved forward). You can find a tutorial in Tutorial: HD44780 Display Driver with NXP MCUXpresso SDK | MCU on Eclipse  which uses this library.

Otherwise just go straight with the MCUXpresso SDK API.

I hope this helps,

Erich

View solution in original post

2 Replies
BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello,

I'm affraid that the move from KDS with Processor Expert and the SDK 1.x to the MCUXpresso IDE and SDK 2.x is really not straight forward. The approach, architecture and API of the SDK is fundamentally different, so translating this in a reliable way by some tools would be really challenging. So realisticly there won't be such an importer tool.

As for a tutorial about moving code: the most straighforward way is to create a new MCUXpresso SDK project, add the needed drivers (UART, SPI, I2C, ...) and then port over the application code. This is very specific to the application code, so hard to give any general guidance.

The other approach at least for Processor Expert based projects is to use the library in GitHub - ErichStyger/McuOnEclipseLibrary: Library of McuOnEclipse components . It uses wrappers and drivers compatible to the MCUXpresso SDK 1.x and 2.x (this is what is moved forward). You can find a tutorial in Tutorial: HD44780 Display Driver with NXP MCUXpresso SDK | MCU on Eclipse  which uses this library.

Otherwise just go straight with the MCUXpresso SDK API.

I hope this helps,

Erich

joao_ribeiro
Contributor IV

Hello Erich,

Thank you for the reply.

In the next days I will have to start this task for sure. I will post my experience along the way.

Thank you

Regards

0 Kudos