Empty source tabs open when debugging

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Empty source tabs open when debugging

scottm
Senior Contributor II

Frequently (but not always), when I start a debug session I'll get a new source tab with a name like (gdb[55].proc[42000].threadGroup[i1],gdb[55].proc[42000].OSthread[1]).thread[1].frame[0] but no contents.  I'm used to seeing new tabs open in CodeWarrior when it stops on something that's not in a source file and can only show the disassembly view, but when I click on 'View Disassembly...' in this case, it says 'no debug context'.

I'm not sure if it's related, but I also get the message "Warning: the current language does not match this frame."

What is this, and how do I prevent it?  It clutters up my screen and I have to stop and close the tabs all the time.

Thanks,

Scott

0 Kudos
4 Replies

lpcxpresso_supp
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

With regards to the gdb[55]... editor tab that you are seeing, this message is generally erroneous. The debugger has at some point during the connection to the target tried to access memory at a point when the PC was not "valid", and then tried to display the source related to the "invalid" address - which has triggered the edit box with the"no source..." message in it.

Preventing this sporadically happening is proving hard, as it depends on all sorts of configuration and timings between the PC, the debug probe and the target. And many users won't actually see it in their particular setup. 

Typically, the erroneous gdb[55]... tab can closed and you should just be able to click into the debug View (on the backtrace) to switch to the "real" current location in the editor view.

But we are continuing to look for a way of preventing this for a future IDE release.

Regards,

MCUXpresso IDE Support

0 Kudos

scottm
Senior Contributor II

Just as long as someone's aware of it and working on the problem.  It's not a big deal, it's just one of a hundred little annoyances in my day.

It'd sometimes be nice to have an option to restore all of the source tabs to their prior state after a debug session is finished.  Sometimes I do want to see whatever source file I traced through to, but more often I wind up with half a dozen new source tabs open and cluttering up my editor.

Is there a way to switch automatically between develop and debug perspectives, like CodeWarrior does?  I find the default MCUXpresso develop perspective doesn't have enough room for the views I need for debugging, but I have to keep switching back and forth.

Thanks,

Scott

0 Kudos

BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Scott,

about the debug perspective, see Using a Custom Debug Perspective in Eclipse | MCU on Eclipse 

I hope this helps,

Erich

0 Kudos

scottm
Senior Contributor II

Thanks Erich, that's exactly what I was looking for!  It's working like I want now.

The rest keeps getting messier.  I'm on the verge of uninstalling MCUXpresso and starting over fresh - I can't seem to fix the weird pathentry problems, my Peripherals+ view has stopped working, and EmbSysRegView shows only zeros for everything.  I'm getting by, though, and the task-aware debugger has really helped.

Thanks,

Scott

0 Kudos