CDT project dependency problem with MCUXpresso v11.5.1...?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CDT project dependency problem with MCUXpresso v11.5.1...?

np
Contributor IV

My team is trying to upgrade our MCUXpresso IDE from v11.1.0 to v11.5.1, but CDT project dependencies are behaving badly.

Our main repo contains a lot (30-40) of projects, and uses CDT project dependencies (Properties --> C/C++ General --> Paths and Symbols --> References) to tell MCUXpresso which projects depend on which other projects. Under v11.1.0, this behaves as you'd expect, so this has worked well.

But under MCUXpresso v11.5.1, when we try to build exactly the same configuration, the CDT build engine is skipping some of the dependent projects marked as CDT references (i.e. that v11.1.0 gets right). Worse still, MCUXpresso v11.5.1 seems to behave differently on different developer's machines, i.e. different combinations of referenced projects seem to get skipped. (Though each machine fails in a consistent way.)

As a result, the final link fails to find the dependent library files (because the projects that should have built them haven't been built):

c:/nxp/mcuxpressoide_11.5.1_7266/ide/plugins/com.nxp.mcuxpresso.tools.win32_11.5.1.202201181444/tools/bin/../lib/gcc/arm-none-eabi/10.3.1/../../../../arm-none-eabi/bin/ld.exe: cannot find -lBootLib
c:/nxp/mcuxpressoide_11.5.1_7266/ide/plugins/com.nxp.mcuxpresso.tools.win32_11.5.1.202201181444/tools/bin/../lib/gcc/arm-none-eabi/10.3.1/../../../../arm-none-eabi/bin/ld.exe: cannot find -liMXRT1062

Of course, if we manually build the skipped dependent projects and then build again, the link succeeds.

This looks to us a lot like a bug in MCUXpresso v11.5.1, has anyone already reported this?

Note that I haven't yet tried MCUXpresso releases between v11.1.0 and v11.5.1 to see if this behaviour was introduced before v11.5.1. From previous threads, it seems that few developers use CDT project references to the degree that we do, so I'm not hugely surprised that this issue has not been reported.

I've also gone looking for known bugs in Eclipse CDT (the CDT 10.3.3.212109092009 is quite recent) but I haven't yet found mention of any similar issue.

PS: if anyone has a secret Eclipse hack / tip to get MCUXpresso / Eclipse to log which projects it is trying to build or skip (and why) to one of its countless log files, please say!

0 Kudos
1 Reply

PabloAvalos
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @np 

Thank you so much for using our community. We are overloaded on the requests these days, I really appreciate your patience.

Regarding your issue, I am still checking the issue so I would appreciate if you give me more time, please. Also, do you think you can share with me some screenshots of the issue? So I can reproduce it on my hand.

I will stay tuned to your reply, so please if you have more questions or updates, I will be more than happy to assist you.

Thank you in advance.
Sincerely,
Pablo Avalos.

0 Kudos