Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

new to this...

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by ag4ve on Sat Jul 09 22:50:52 MST 2011
1. first, the lpcexpresso getting started pdf page 26 has whether to include cmsis headers as a check box, on my install, i get a page that asks for a 'CMSIS Library to link project to'. ok, so in the Examples/CMSIS_DSLIB a number if zip files that i have extracted. however, i don't get anything if i do a 'find -iname "*_13*". so, which library do i copy to my workspace to work with?

2. all of the examples have tons of headers that seem to link around and i'm having issues following them. i come from doing perl and js, so thinking of pushing bits back and forth is a bit interesting. does anyone have a simple 'hello world' or maybe flash cw with an led when i echo a letter to the usb port or something like that? not an example, but a tutorial - i can get blinkey working, but where does all that stuff come from?

3. how do variables get defined with pins and then things happen on those pins? i've read the lpc2148 quickstart guide here: http://www.microbuilder.eu/Tutorials.aspx and some of the lpc13xx users guide, but i'm not getting what is being done here? ie, once i define an address to a variable, how am i pushing data to that address?

btw, i'm running lpcexpresso on ubuntu and i've got a p1343 board (though i intend to use 1311 chips and hope that porting code won't be too hard).

thanks
0 Kudos
4 Replies

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by CodeRedSupport on Mon Jul 11 00:49:20 MST 2011
The getting started can be accessed directly from the Welcome page on all versions of LPCXpresso.

To get the correct version of cmsis, you need to Import projects and then browse to the directory appropriate for your mcu family. It is a project archive (zip) and not a directory. It the becomes a project in your workspace. Again, this is common to all versions.

Linux and Windows versions are pretty much identical.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by ag4ve on Sun Jul 10 15:28:57 MST 2011
ok, you're right about me needing to read the right version of the getting started pdf. that said, the current version says that i need to include CMSISv2p00_LPC13xx and i don't see that directory. judging by the screenshot the document provides, there are some differences with the eclipse wizard on windows vs linux and these differences aren't documented (ie, linux has a field for 'CMSIS DSP Library to link project to' that i don't see in the doc).

ok, it seems that the CMSIS library i need doesn't come with the distribution (or i don't know what it's called). it implies here (http://support.code-red-tech.com/CodeRedWiki/CMSISprojects) that it does come with the distribution and i've also read http://support.code-red-tech.com/CodeRedWiki/Support4CMSIS which covers linking against this, but not creating a new project with it already linked in. should i just not define the CMSIS and follow the instructions on using it in a preexisting project?

... why am i the only one with difficulty figuring this out? i must have missed something really fundamental here.

Quote:

Start menu under "LPCXpresso v4.0.5_123 -> Help and Guides -> Getting Started".

yeah, not exactly :)
try /usr/local/lpcxpresso_4.0.5_113/LPCXpressoGettingStarted.pdf
the only thing in the "start menu" is the ide and uninstall. and i just didn't notice it, so i googled and got the wrong version.

this isn't real bad, i'm just making the point that i think linux was an after thought and there are several short comings in the linux version of the package that i'm going to have to figure out how to get past.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by Rob65 on Sun Jul 10 03:55:15 MST 2011
Forget about the C book ... for now ...
If you already know Perl and JS then C is just another variant of a programming language. Yes - you might want to read a book on C programming. If you can get hold of a book on Embedded C programming since embedded code uses C in a bit of a different way than larger (PC style) applications do.

First, start in the Quick Start Panel (as explained in the Getting Started) with "import projects" and search for NXP/LPC1000/LPC13xx/examples.lpc13xx.new.zip.

Regarding your Getting Started Manual: you are reading the wrong version.
You installed LPCXpresso 4.0.5 but you are reading a manual from an older version of the tools.
Please use/read the Getting Started that comes bundeled with your LPCXpresso installation.

I'm not sure about Linux but on Windows this is installed in the Start menu under "LPCXpresso v4.0.5_123 -> Help and Guides -> Getting Started".

Quote:
btw, i'm running lpcexpresso on ubuntu and i've got a p1343 board  (though i intend to use 1311 chips and hope that porting code won't be  too hard).

No problem at all. The lpc13xx series contain all the same peripherals. There are some differences in RAM/Flash sizes and some peripherals may not be available in all variants but the peripherals (and addresses) are the same.
Even the lpc11xx series contain the same peripherals as the 13xx so porting (C) code between these chips is fairly easy.

Only the lpc17xx family is abit of an outlaw ... here you will find different peripherals for a.o. the GPIO interface. So you will need to change some parts of your code when converting the a lpc17xx variant but that's not too difficult.

Rob
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by serge on Sun Jul 10 03:24:34 MST 2011
Maybe you should first take a look at a good book teaching you the beginnings of C :rolleyes:. It would give you un understanding of header- and includefiles and how to do 'things'. After you get familiar with C you should definatly read the user manual of the LPC13xx series if you plan on using the LPC1311. http://www.nxp.com/documents/user_manual/UM10375.pdf
and not just the 'getting started'...
Porting code from the LPC1343 to LPC1311 is not so difficult. Just check the amount of flash and ram memory.
0 Kudos