cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Xpresso/Code red/NXP what's happening

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by graynomad on Wed Jul 10 02:16:13 MST 2013
Some time ago I downloaded the LCPXresso IDE and I've been using it successfully ever since.

But only with C of course because I got the free version, frankly the lack of a free C++ compiler hacks me off and I nearly dropped LPCs because of it but today thought bugger it I'll upgrade, it's only $256.

Well it's gone up a bit but no matter, but then I read about NXP acquiring CR and that the CR Suite is on it's last legs, in maintenance mode etc etc.

So now I don't know what the heck to do, will I be orphaned and have to start again with another toolchain? Or conversely spend $296 only to find that NXP release the whole thing for free two months later.

Either way I'm not inclined to spend any money on a product in it's EOL stage.
0 Kudos
14 Replies

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by graynomad on Thu Jul 18 08:07:43 MST 2013
Thanks guys, I must look into this. I'm designing hardware at present (dual CPU with AVR Mega1284 and LPC1227) when I get the boards off I'll get back to the software.

I started an Arduino/LPC port some time ago but it was in C so the next thing is to convert it to C++ so it's more compatible.

_____
Rob
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by Rob65 on Wed Jul 17 22:50:10 MST 2013
Thanks,

this C++ project is a nice start.
I tried to create some C++ projects myself (including projects exported from the Embed environment) but the all come out around 100 kB due to the C++ libraries.

Your blinky style C++ project compiles to 4592 (2400/2108/84) bytes compared to 2256 (2244/4/8) bytes (for text/data/bss) on LPCXpresso 5.2.6 - and this includes all the overhead C++ comes with.
This is almost amazing  :)

I am still quite new to C++ in the embedded world and just discovered that the try/catch exemption mechanism is not supported - too bad since this is a very nice C++ feature that makes for easier exemption handling. Also, iostreams is not supported (well, in fact it is but it comes with a 200+ kB text size increase.

Now I can finally continue with the conversion of my own program into C++ based classes.

and as a bit of info to Rob: the limitations of the free LPCXpresso are just in downloading and the project wizard. You can create a program that is larger than this but you'll need something like flashmagic to download it to your target. You can also create C++ projects by hand (changing project properties, no need to edit makefiles) but there is no wizard for this.

The easy way is to create a skeleton C++ project and export that to an archive. You then only have to import this project, change the name and start working from there.
I already used the environment like this for my C projects since I did not like some of the LPCXpresso defaults.

Rob
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by AndrewCapon on Wed Jul 17 09:10:29 MST 2013
Hi Rob,

No problem.

No makefiles are needed it all works from inside the IDE.

There is just no 'Auto Setup' for the project you just have to do it all yourself. Once that is done though it compiles and debugs c++ with no problem at all.

Cheers

Andy

0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by graynomad on Wed Jul 17 08:54:53 MST 2013
Thanks Andy I'll check that out.

There was a there was on the old forum about this as well, trouble is I'm not sure I could return to the days of makefiles again.

______
Rob
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by AndrewCapon on Tue Jul 16 22:34:33 MST 2013

Quote: graynomad
Some time ago I downloaded the LCPXresso IDE and I've been using it successfully ever since.

But only with C of course because I got the free version, frankly the lack of a free C++ compiler hacks me off and I nearly dropped LPCs because of it but today thought bugger it I'll upgrade, it's only $256.

You can develop in C++ with the free version, they just don't make it easy!

I have included a project I set up that uses C++, it doesn't do much but shows a simple class for controlling the LED2 on the board.

Cheers

Andy
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by graynomad on Thu Jul 11 07:27:41 MST 2013
ok, I guess you can't say too much yet. It's already a great product and I assume you won't make it any worse :)  I'll be upgrading soon then.

Thanks for the response.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by CodeRedSupport on Thu Jul 11 07:04:11 MST 2013
There will be paths for customers who have purchased one of the versions of Red Suite to move to the next generation of tools. We will make details available at the same time that we announce the new tools themselves.

Regards,
CodeRedSupport
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by graynomad on Thu Jul 11 01:22:16 MST 2013
Thanks CR.

So just to be clear, if I spend $296 now to get the 256k/C++ version I will get a licence for an equivalent version for free (or at most a nominal fee) when you release the new stuff.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by CodeRedSupport on Thu Jul 11 00:02:40 MST 2013
We are working hard on the next generation of tools to support NXP LPC parts.  We can assure you that there will continue to be free and paid for products and the tools will be 100% compatible with the existing LPCXpresso and Red Suite products. However, we do not pre-announce products and so are unable to give more details at this stage.

Regarding the price of existing Code Red products, the prices have not changed since acquisition. However, the price is set in US dollars and so when purchased in other currencies the price will vary, depending on the current exchange rate with US Dollars.

Regards,
CodeRedSupport
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by js-nxp on Wed Jul 10 19:54:10 MST 2013

Quote:
the "environment" is stable.

Not too sure about the "stable" bit yet.... not with the latest and bloatest IDE at least. :rolleyes:
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by graynomad on Wed Jul 10 19:38:34 MST 2013
We're 50k inland and on top of a hill, should be safe from salties even if I am playing away from home WRT the other brand :)

No response from the CR guys, did I touch a nerve?

Truth is I reckon the LPCs are great chips and I'd like to work more with them, but this uncertainty doesn't help and I'm not inclined to spend a lot of time (and more money) just to be orphaned. I may as well use the other brand where all the tools are free and the "environment" is stable.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by js-nxp on Wed Jul 10 14:57:07 MST 2013
Well Rob it could have been worse like being struck by lightning or being eaten by a salty for betraying the "other" company... :D
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by graynomad on Wed Jul 10 03:55:46 MST 2013
Thanks Leon,

Not exactly a confidence-boosting page.

Quote:
Support services for all products purchased since 29 April 2013 will  expire at the end of the inclusive support services period for the  product, or 31 December 2013, whichever is sooner.

Bummer if you just bought it.

Quote:
Red Suite itself will be being replaced by a new NXP only product (in  the vein of LPCXpresso / Red Suite NXP edition) in the near future.

This could be very nice, but will current licences carry over, or will I blow my $300 and have to buy again.

Quote:
Red Suite  will continue to be available for purchase from our webstore until 31 December 2013. 

Given the above, why?

So I find myself in the position where I'd like to change my Arduino core library port to C++ and I have to put the project on hold until...well who knows, until the "near future" at least. And in this game we all know how that could blow out.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by leon_heller on Wed Jul 10 02:49:29 MST 2013
I found this:

http://support.code-red-tech.com/CodeRedWiki/RedSuiteFuture
0 Kudos