cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB to UART bridge interface

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by affonpign on Sun May 08 23:02:54 MST 2011
Hi everybody,

I use the Embedded Artists LPCXpresso Base Board. I use the USB to UART bridge interface on the base board but every time I open the Tera Term terminal the Code Red IDE shows me the following error:

[I]Target reported errors

16: Target error from status-poll[/I]

Does anybody knows if I can use the USB to UART bridge with Tera Term? I use the FTDI 2.8.2.0 USB serial driver with Windows 7.

Regards,
affonpign
0 Kudos
4 Replies

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by whitecoe on Wed May 25 06:26:10 MST 2011

Quote: affonpign
The following errors occur debugging with tera term connected:

Device is connected already. Other VIDPID=000000000 (Connected)
LPC-Link Probe v1.0

Regards

I don't think this is an error - you just need to select the LPC-Link!

HTH!
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by Rob65 on Wed May 25 05:29:08 MST 2011
The JTAG debugger (LPC-Link) is connected to the SWD interface.
The USB to Uart bridge is connected to the Uart pins, this is a complete different interface.

Not being able to debug with teraterm connected has to do with these jumpers - for sure - I am using the same way of connecting Teraterm as a debug console and nev have to remove my USB.

Regards,

Rob
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by affonpign on Wed May 25 02:54:17 MST 2011
Hi Rob65

I know about the jumpers. I figured out that my problem is. The USB to UART bridge works but I have to start tera term after debugging with LPCXpresso. If not the problem occurs. Do you know why I can not debug and load the target while tera term is connected to the USB to UART bridge. The JTAG debugger of the Embedded Artists boards works with USB as well. Maybe there is a conflict there and it is not possible.

The following errors occur debugging with tera term connected:

Device is connected already. Other VIDPID=000000000 (Connected)
LPC-Link Probe v1.0

Regards
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by Rob65 on Mon May 09 01:36:39 MST 2011
affonpign,

I suggest reading section 4 of the user manual that comes with the base board.
There you will find (chapter 4.1.1.1) a discription of the jumper for jumpers J54.
If these jumpers are inserted, the RTS and DTS signals control the reset and P0.1 (bootloader enable) pins.

If Terraterm sets these RS232 signals at a certain level, your lpc microcontroller will either stay in reser or go to bootloader mode.

If you do not use ISP (and who does when we have the LPC-Link available) I suggest removing these jumpers. This will disable the ISP option and makes your USB-Uart bridge with any terminal program you like to use.

I suggest to study both the schematics for the base board and the user manual whenever you want to use any peripherals on the board. There are a lot of jumpers and they need to be in the right position when using certain peripherals on the board.
A nice example is the use of PIO1.1 and PIO1.0: these are by default jumpered to the rotary switch and this switch may pull the IO lines low in certain positions so you might see strange effect when using those pins and not removing the jumpers ...

Rob
0 Kudos