cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tool compatibility

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by JulianCox on Fri Feb 10 09:18:00 MST 2012
I Have just been given a LPC1114 LPCXpresso board and I have installed the IDE, but as yet I have used neither. I also have a MBED board (which I have used, but not extensively), the KEIL software suite (been using it for about 20 years), a ULINK2 and a couple of Keil ARM development boards.
I would like to know: -
How interoperable is all this hardware and software?
Can I develop a solution using Keil and target it at the LPCXpresso and/or MBED boards?
Can I use the ULINK2 on LPCXpresso and MBED hardware?
Can I use the LPC-Link with Keil?
Should I dump the LPCXpresso IDE and the MBED software and only use the Keil IDE, or do the others have some particular advantage?
0 Kudos
1 Reply

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by Ex-Zero on Sun Feb 12 13:00:24 MST 2012

Quote:

How interoperable is all this hardware and software?
Can I develop a solution using Keil and target it at the LPCXpresso and/or MBED boards?

Of course you can create bin-files and load them into all other boards, so writing code and flashing it is no problem :)
SWD is a simple 4-wire connection and other boards can be connected very easy.

Debugging is possible with Keil/ULINK or CodeRed/LPC_Link, they are not interoperable.

mbed is a different idea. It's online compiler is a little bit unfamiliar (for old dogs like me :().
I'm watching this idea since 2009 and obviously it's successful. A key for this success is the opportunity for Rapid Prototyping with a lot of samples.
Difficult issues like Ethernet can be done very easy with mbed :)

Quote:

Should I dump the LPCXpresso IDE and the MBED software and only use the Keil IDE, or do the others have some particular advantage?

So, you're old enough, decide yourself. I myself need a debugger and so I work a little bit old-fashioned. 
But I also like it to test a few things with mbed because it's incredible easy and it's Cookbook is a good place to start and lean new things.

I don't know how good your Keil support is but you've found this forum and a lot of questions have been answered here.
Also NXP and Code Red are active here. Therefore it's my advice to use them all and dump nothing :rolleyes:
0 Kudos