Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Splitting the LPCXpresso board in two?

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by ambo on Mon May 02 07:52:53 MST 2011
Just got an LPCXpresso LPC1114.   I thought that the LPC-Link and target board can be broken off but upon closer inspection there are really no break-away cuts, indentions, borders or whatever you call them  on the pcb itself for you to safely and cleanly break the board into two.

So how do you guys break your board into separate lpc-link and target board?  Or you just dont do it at all?  Or the LPCexpresso was really never meant to be split into separate jtag and target board?

Forgive this dumb query, just just a question from a typical mcu newbie.

I did have once a pickit 1 and I just snapped the main board and expansion board and it split into two.
0 Kudos
5 Replies

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by js-nxp on Fri Jun 21 16:06:28 MST 2013
Sorry posted in the wrong thread.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by Rob65 on Mon May 02 22:50:03 MST 2011
There could be a number of reasons to do or not to do.

On one side, cutting the board while there are still no connectors attached to it is easier to do than with connectors attached.
But doing so will also cut away the 5V to 3v3 regulator as described here (http://knowledgebase.nxp.com/showpost.php?p=8028)

For software prototyping or hobby/home projects I advise to leave the board in one piece.Besides the voltage regulator you now also have very easy debugging access.

Once you remove the LPC-Link you will need to provide some way of attaching the LPC-Link (or a debugger pod like the RedProbe+) for debugging or programming purposes.
Reasons for doing so may be the fact that you want to verify your hardware design or because the whole thing needs to be fitted in a smaller box.

The reason for not having the 'easy break-away' option I think is just because of board stability. The LPCXpresso board mounted on a baseboard leaves the LPC-Link section floating in mid-air.
I would have broken a number of boards by now if they had done this.

I've split up three boards; the first one using a small hand saw, one using an Xacto knife and one using a circular saw with a 0.2mm blade.
With the first one I had to watch out that I did not cut away the connector holes, with the second one I had to watch out that I did not cut any unwanted traces (I like the Japanese way described) or my fingers.
The last option is the best way of doing this but you do need a very stable mini circular saw for this (and no, that little Dremel or Proxxon thingy you might have is not stable enough).

But a first time user I would strongly suggest to use the board as-is.

Rob
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by Ex-Zero on Mon May 02 08:13:40 MST 2011
It's described here:

http://knowledgebase.nxp.com/showthread.php?t=52
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by igorsk on Mon May 02 08:13:23 MST 2011
You don't have to split it to work with the board. You could do that if, for example, after developing your application you want to install the board in some small space.

See here for some advice on splitting.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by Ex-Zero on Mon May 02 08:12:58 MST 2011
Try this:

http://knowledgebase.nxp.com/showthread.php?t=52
0 Kudos