Segmentation fault after Ubuntu apt-get update

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Segmentation fault after Ubuntu apt-get update

arty
Contributor II

I have been succesfully using LPCXpresso for some time now without errors. However, today, after running system update LPCXpresso now longer stars showing segmentation fault. I tried to reinstall without success. I did everything as it is told in installation manual. Can you help me?

0 Kudos
9 Replies

lpcxpresso_supp
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

It appears that there have been issues reported using Java applications using recent Linux updates, including the Eclipse framework that LPCXpresso IDE is built on top of : For instance (external link) : Eclipse Crashes with Linux Kernel 4.4.0-81-generic - Ask Ubuntu . Thus it is possible that your segmentation faults after OS updating are related to this.

As an aside - you should note that NXP is no longer maintaining LPCXpresso IDE - thus we are not retesting compatibility with the latest Ubuntu updates.  The last major release, v8.2.0 was made a year ago (and the slightly later v8.2.2 was just a very minor update to that). Thus we have certainly not done any formal testing ourselves on later OS versions.

As a path forward, NXP recommends you consider updating to the MCUXpresso IDE, introduced in March 2017 which is now an Ubuntu 64 bit application, rather than 32bit as LPCXpresso IDE was. For more details visit: http://www.nxp.com/mcuxpresso/ide

Regards,

LPCXpresso Support

0 Kudos

pre
Contributor I

Stephan

While Your solution makes LPCXpresso to launch, there is still a problem with controls, all the controls are now available (for example debug is available while you are not in debug), + build , debug controls are not responding to project change - LPCXpresso IDE is still totally unusable

0 Kudos

stephan_preuss
Contributor I

You can make LPCXpresso work again by adding the following two lines to "lpcexpresso.ini" directly before the "-vmargs" line:

-vm

/opt/lpcxpresso/lpcxpresso/jre/bin/java

Take care that you adapt the path to the java binary according to your installation.

0 Kudos

stephan_preuss
Contributor I

Hey,

just wanted to let you know some additional information.

I was using LinuxMint 18.1 (Serena) with LPCXPresso 8.1.4. After an OS update, it stopped working with a missing ATK library (libatk1.0-0:i386) and a Segmentation Fault. After having installed the missing lib, the SegFault remained. After having a look into the core dump, I could track it down to libjvm.so. Googling this issue with LPCXPresso brought no result. Since LPCXpresso is based on Eclipse Equinox I've tried this and came across the "-vm" option. That solved my issue completely. During the trial and error session, I've upgraded to LPCXpresso 8.2.2 and LinuxMint 18.2 (Sonya).

Here's my lpcxpresso.ini:

$ cat /opt/lpcxpresso/lpcxpresso/lpcxpresso.ini
-startup
plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher_1.3.100.v20150511-1540.jar
--launcher.library
plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.gtk.linux.x86_1.1.300.v20150602-1417
-vm
/opt/lpcxpresso/lpcxpresso/jre/bin/java
-vmargs
-Dosgi.requiredJavaVersion=1.8
-Xms128m
-Xmx512m
-XX:MaxPermSize=256M

BR

Stephan

0 Kudos

arty
Contributor II

For me, it seems to work with 8.2.0_647 fine, 8.2.2_650 has glitches sometimes and doesn't alway turns on, sometimes errors out of the blue happen. Probably something more has to be done to make it stable enough

0 Kudos

g_mocken
Contributor I

Thanks,

this almost worked for lpcxpresso 7.9.2 (it starts, but the GUI is broken, i.e. selected menu items are unreadable plus other glitches, and also the debug probe cannot be found anymore).

For lpcxpresso 8.2.2, I still get the same crash at startup. However, I never used this version before.

0 Kudos

mateuszspychala
Contributor I

I think the only way to make it working is to install MCUXpersso. It is working fine and it is almost identical with LPCXpresso. 

0 Kudos

mateuszspychala
Contributor I

I have exacly the same problem. I've tried a lot of methods and nothing has helped. 

0 Kudos

g_mocken
Contributor I

Same for me. It was working before a recent Ubuntu 16.04 LTS update.

I tried my existing 7.9.2 installation and a fresh 8.2.2, but both crash in the same way.

strace /opt/lpcxpresso_8.2.2_650/lpcxpresso/lpcxpresso

[...]

--- SIGSEGV {si_signo=SIGSEGV, si_code=SEGV_MAPERR, si_addr=0xfff035f8} ---
rt_sigprocmask(SIG_SETMASK, ~[RTMIN RT_1], ~[KILL STOP RTMIN RT_1], 8) = 0
--- SIGSEGV {si_signo=SIGSEGV, si_code=SEGV_MAPERR, si_addr=0xfff03fe0} ---
+++ killed by SIGSEGV (core dumped) +++

0 Kudos