Rotate right register (RORS) not in CMSIS for Cortex-M0?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rotate right register (RORS) not in CMSIS for Cortex-M0?

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by OldManVimes on Mon Jul 21 00:48:13 MST 2014
Hi,

I've noticed that my version of the CMSIS source code for the Cortex-M0 does not include a function that exposes the ROR (a.k.a. RORS?) assembly instruction as a GCC function. It does exist in the CMSIS source code, but is only enabled for the Cortex-M3 (i.e. the __ROR function) via an #ifdef. According to the ARM documentation, the M0 supports a RORS instruction that appears to be comparable, so my question is why it is not exposed in the CMSIS for an M0?

Note that I'm not 100% sure my CMSIS version is the latest version. It was provided by the project creation wizard for a M0 project from LPCXpresso v6.x and might in theory have been updated since.

Anyway, I'm just curious about why it isn't supported since there are practical applications for using the register bit rotation functionality (as opposed to a shift).

Thanks,
0 Kudos
2 Replies

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by OldManVimes on Mon Jul 21 04:46:08 MST 2014
Cool! Thanks a lot for the quick and useful response.
I will 'diff' the CMSIS versions and will probably update to the newer version.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by lpcxpresso-support on Mon Jul 21 01:07:00 MST 2014
v3.2 of CMSIS (as shipped in LPCXpresso v7 examples) does. It is defined as:

__attribute__( ( always_inline ) ) __STATIC_INLINE uint32_t __ROR(uint32_t op1, uint32_t op2)
{
  return (op1 >> op2) | (op1 << (32 - op2)); 
}

[And yes, the compiler is smart enough to convert this into a ROR instruction]
0 Kudos