cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LPC1769 on LPCXpresso v.5 and above

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by fabiongo123 on Tue Dec 25 23:46:22 MST 2012
Hi,

I am very new to Software Development on the LPC Boards. After installing LPCXpresso v.5.0.14_1109 and trying to select my LPC1769 board to create a new project, LPCXpresso tells me that my board is not supported because it has a 512k flash, which it is not supported by my current version of LPCXpresso. I bought the board and it came with a code that allowed me to activate the software but I am now left with nothing to do

Is there a workaround on that or am I doing something wrong when setting it up? I am very new to this so please be patient and as detailed as possible.

Thanks a lot in advance.
0 Kudos
7 Replies

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by Ex-Zero on Thu Jan 17 14:32:11 MST 2013
I would prefer LPCXpresso because my best friends are DSO and debugger. Of course MBED online compiler is easier to use than Eclipse based LPCXpresso IDE and perhaps you find a complete MBED MIDI project. So choosing MDED or LPCXpresso is more a matter of your skills and how you are used to work. I would always prefer an 'old-fashioned' IDE with debugger so that I can debug / program all my own boards. Also LPCXpresso is a very cheap way to start learning this stuff and therefore worth it's 20 € :)
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by trigger on Thu Jan 17 14:03:23 MST 2013
You're right, I should have read this more carefully. Probably rushed this, because I wanted to make a quick decision between the LPCXpresso board and Mbed.

My project is a prototype for a USB Midi device (E-Drum module). Do you see any issues with using LPCXpresso IDE with nxpUSBlib? Would Mbed be a better platform for prototyping a USB MIDI device?

EDIT: Decided to go with the LPCXpresso board -- I think the semihosted printf support will come in very handy... plus I already know Eclipse.

Thank you
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by Ex-Zero on Thu Jan 17 13:23:12 MST 2013

Quote: trigger
Sorry, you're right. It's not a problem on your page, but a distributor/seller:

http://www.embeddedartists.com/products/lpcxpresso/lpc1769_xpr.php

:confused:

#1 It's not my page, I'm [COLOR=Red]not[/COLOR] CodeRed ;)

#2 EA page is providing a link = free Eclipse-based IDE which is showing a product survey also. There you can read that [COLOR=Red]LPCXpresso IDE is unlimited[/COLOR], too :eek:

128k is a download / debug limit. If you use a bootloader or ISP to download your code you can avoid this limitation ;)
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by trigger on Thu Jan 17 13:10:46 MST 2013
Sorry, you're right. It's not a problem on your page, but a distributor/seller:

http://www.embeddedartists.com/products/lpcxpresso/lpc1769_xpr.php
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by Ex-Zero on Thu Jan 17 13:01:15 MST 2013

Quote: trigger
Hi, I'm also very new to this. Would be nice if the limitations of the IDE would be stated clearly on this page. That makes it easier to choose between the LPCXpresso board and Mbed, which has a free IDE even when using 512kB Flash.

Thank you
Andrej

:confused: This product has a product overview page:

http://www.support.code-red-tech.com/CodeRedWiki/ProductOverview
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by trigger on Thu Jan 17 12:34:25 MST 2013

Quote: Rob65
If you are very new to this, you should always read the detailed information that the program provides.

Hi, I'm also very new to this. Would be nice if the limitations of the IDE would be stated clearly on this page. That makes it easier to choose between the LPCXpresso board and Mbed, which has a free IDE even when using 512kB Flash.

Thank you
Andrej
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by Rob65 on Wed Dec 26 00:17:18 MST 2012
If you are very new to this, you should always read the detailed information that the program provides.

And then you'll see that it does not tell you that your board is not supported because it has 512 kB Flash.

The exact text shown on the popup when selecting the lpc1769 is:

Quote:
NXP LPC1769 (512 k flash)
LPCXpresso license supports max flash size of 128k.
Visit Code Red Technologies for upgrade information

So the workaround is easy: just buy a Red Suite 5 license for $ 256 (with a 256 kB limit on NXP processors), $ 512 (512 kB limit on NXP processors) or $ 999 (no flash limit and also supports other brand microcontrollers)

Edit: you can still use the LPCXpresso tools with the lpc1769 but you will not be able to upload/debug programs that have a larger flash image than 128 kB.

Rob
0 Kudos