Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flash utility full progress details/log

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by mfph on Sun Jul 10 19:18:22 MST 2011
Hello

I'm trying to migrate a project to production having used LPCXpresso IDE and the LPC-Link debugger with an LPC1111 target. We have a programmer that uses the serial port/bootloader but cannot successfully program the chip. In order to debug the issue I would like to know what the LPC-Link flash utility is doing, but I can't seem to find a way to show this. Selecting "Verbose progress messages" is completely useless as they appear too fast to see anything. Where might I find the settings and/or log file of this program? Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Regards
mfph
0 Kudos
5 Replies

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by Rob65 on Wed Jul 13 22:37:43 MST 2011
Thanks,

response is highly appreciated - I wish more users were that kind to let us know when a problem is solved

That the 3rd party program is not able to use .axf or .elf is normal.
The compiler suite will have to create a binary image so you have to tell your build environment to make one.

In case someone else stumbles upon this thread having the same problem:[INDENT] In LPCXpresso, go to the project properties, select C/C++ Build - Settings and select the Build Steps tab.
Here you add the following two command to the Post-Build steps:
arm-none-eabi-objcopy -O binary ${BuildArtifactFileName} ${BuildArtifactFileBaseName}.bin;  
checksum ${BuildArtifactFileBaseName}.bin;
Make sure the semi colons are there (these are command seperators) and place those commands before the hash (#) sign in the Command field (the hash starts the comment section - anything after the hash is not used).

This will create the .bin file and add the checksum, just in case the (3rd party) programmer does not.
[/INDENT]But I guess you already had that figured out yourself.

One last request; if you are happy with this solution, you could consider to close this thread. To do this, click on thread tools (in the blue bar on top of the screen just below the Reply button) and close this thread.

Regards,

Rob
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by mfph on Wed Jul 13 18:48:06 MST 2011
OK problem solved. It was two-fold:

1) 3rd party programmer software does not check for correct ID!! Temporary solution: ignore id check.

2) 3rd party programmer does not accept .axf/.elf files but does not complain when given one! Solution: generate .bin file.

Also, v4 of LPCXpresso is much nicer in how it displays log after completion of flash program. Thanks for pointing this out!
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by mfph on Tue Jul 12 12:40:20 MST 2011
@ Rob65

Apologies for not making myself clear. For prototype work I have been using USB SWD / LPC-Link (with LPCXpresso v3.6.3_317) .

The production programmer is an independent programmer with software and is not affiliated with NXP. It uses ISP, however it will not recognise the device ID. I have never used ISP up until this point. It appears to program and verify OK if the device ID is ignored, however the device does not show any sign of life.

I would like to know the steps shown when programming/any assumed parameters etc. through LPC-Link so that I can help to diagnose the issue.

@ CodeRedSupport

I have used command line programming successfully, but the point is I could not see in the GUI interface the details of the process. I will try this new version as you have suggested.

Regards
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by CodeRedSupport on Mon Jul 11 01:13:17 MST 2011

Quote: mfph
In order to debug the issue I would like to know what the LPC-Link flash utility is doing, but I can't seem to find a way to show this. Selecting "Verbose progress messages" is completely useless as they appear too fast to see anything. Where might I find the settings and/or log file of this program?

The log file generated by the GUI interface to the flash programmer should stay visible if you are using LPCXpresso 4. Alternatively you can call it from the command line....

http://support.code-red-tech.com/CodeRedWiki/CommandLineFlashProgramming

Regards,
CodeRedSupport
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by Rob65 on Sun Jul 10 23:33:48 MST 2011
You are not clear as to which tool you are using to program the lpc1111.

Firstly you mention the serial port bootloader protocol, next you are talking about LPC-Link (the USB SWD/JTAG probe).

If you are using FlashMagic, please read its license. You can not use the free version for production and the license you have to buy does come with the support from Embedded System Academy :rolleyes:

I can recommend lpc21isp, with that you can also program the lpc11xx series for free (GPL licensed).

Licensing of FlashMagic will cost you $ 499,- or € 499,- living in Europe.
:eek: 499 EUR comes to a bit more than 700 USD - I wish I made money that easy :eek:

Rob
0 Kudos