cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Debugging a running target

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by jantenwolde on Fri Jan 13 04:19:02 MST 2012
I want to debug a target (I have 2 targets, one with an LPC1114 and one with LPC1754) that is already running. It often happens that an embedded system after running for days ends up in some weird state. I want to examine, by connecting the debugger cable (SWD) and stopping the running target, so that I can examine memory. I have tried this by NOT loading an image (option in debug config) when starting to debug, but somehow the target does not run correctly anymore. For example it appears that uart communication does not work anymore, interrupts seem to be disabled. I have tried to fiddle with the other options in debug config, but nothing helps. If I look at the debug console log, it appears that it is stopping and then continuing the execution, but I want it to STOP....
0 Kudos
5 Replies

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by jantenwolde on Mon Jan 16 07:14:34 MST 2012
Thank you for letting us know, that seems to explain what I see..
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by CodeRedSupport on Mon Jan 16 07:03:58 MST 2012
It looks like there are circumstance where the current mechanism of connecting to a running target will not work correctly (ie a reset will get triggered, and interrupts will not be enabled).

We'll investigate improving the mechanism for a future release.

Regards,
CodeRedSupport
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by Ex-Zero on Mon Jan 16 07:00:57 MST 2012
Could be helpful to scope Reset line at J4. Options like Vector catch = true are always resetting your target if debugger is trying to connect :eek:
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by jantenwolde on Mon Jan 16 06:47:18 MST 2012
I think I have tried that combination of settings and for a while I thought it was NOT resetting, but it WAS. But I will try again.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by Ex-Zero on Sat Jan 14 07:57:36 MST 2012
Debug options:[INDENT] Vector catch: False
Load image: False
Run/Continue image: cont
Disconnect behaviour: cont
[/INDENT]should give you the opportunity to debug a running project. I've done that several times with LPC11C14 and debugger was able to jump in my program without stopping or resetting it :)

Perhaps this 'weird state' is causing the problems?
0 Kudos