cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CMSIS on LPCXpresso v3.5.0 [Build 206]

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by amptektech on Thu Oct 21 08:34:06 MST 2010
Hi All,

I am a newbie to LPCXpresso, in fact a newbie to embedded programming.  I am trying to create a new skeleton project with the CMSIS option.  However, I keep getting "Dependent project CMSISv1p30_LPC11xx not found" error.  I tried copying the CMSISv1p30_LPC11xx folder from the bundled example to my new workspace, but still getting the same error.  Please help.  Thank you so much.
0 Kudos
17 Replies

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by Rob65 on Wed Nov 28 00:23:32 MST 2012

Quote: southsystem
It [U]is[/U] pretty much unuseable, and I'm looking for a way to get 'hello world' out of an LPC1768 with serial download and no debug. How hard can that be?

I think we are streching the term "embedded computing" here.
Most embedded systems do not have a serial console, they just communicate with the user by LEDs and keypad or in more advanced systems by LCD screen with a touch interface.

In many of those systems the choice of the micro controller is such that it is just big enough to be used for the given application; all those extra peripherals that we do not use cost power, I/O pins and expensive board space that we may not have. (why else would we still have an lpc1114 next to the 1343 or 1769).

So IMHO it just makes so much more sense to have a JTAG debugger that is also used as a console instead of a serial port. We use this JTAG interface for downloading, debugging and as a printf console during development.

Older boards I have use a serial channel for downloading (that takes eons for a larger application) which was also used as serial console.Not being able to do proper debugging on those systems means that debugging took a lot of time.
I have been using the LPCXpresso environment as such since it first came  out and I am quite happy with it. I can develop and debug my programs  in a more sensible way than just printf'ing through my code.

Your serial download with serial console is still possible though. It's just a matter of adapting the printf to print on a serial port and attaching an RS232 converted (or USB-RS232 device) to that port.
With the Base Board from Embedded Artists this is even possible straight out of the box but for the stand alone LPCXpresso board it makes much more sense to do this the JTAG way.

"Pretty unusable" :eek:
No way! I have been using the LPCXpresso board, the motor control board and the base board to develop real applications that are used in real devices.
I admit that there is no real good library to select your components from but on the systems that did have such a library I was also not always too happy with the results this brought me (regarding speed, code size or functionality).

Rob
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by TheFallGuy on Tue Nov 27 13:56:26 MST 2012
Where are you expecting the prints to appear? The standard version supplied in the IDE prints on the debug console - you MUST have a debugger connected.

If you want to print to a serial port, you need to retarget the io library. Search this forum for how to do that.

If this isn't what you want, and you want somebody to help you, then explain exactly what you are trying to do, what you have tried and what doesn't work. We aren't psychic...
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by southsystem on Tue Nov 27 13:48:27 MST 2012
I love the idea that criticism should be supressed - I too am being driven senseless by this monumentally complicated system. Try getting "Hello World" to work - Printf? Yer 'avin a larf. Pass me the Kiel IDE, but I need the cortex, sadly.
It [U]is[/U] pretty much unuseable, and I'm looking for a way to get 'hello world' out of an LPC1768 with serial download and no debug. How hard can that be?
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by Ex-Zero on Sat Apr 07 20:15:53 MST 2012
#1: Right click your project shows a few Index options which could help

#2: Also Window -> Preferences -> C/C++ -> Indexer can disable Indexer
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by lipny on Sat Apr 07 19:31:50 MST 2012
[SIZE=2]Did you read my post @04-07-2012 02:01 AM  and 04-07-2012 02:40 AM ? I DID that already. Did not work.

So what I tried recently was I deleted all the workscpaces that I tried to create and as a new workspace I chose the location where the [/SIZE][SIZE=2]CMSISv2p00_LPC17xx.zip file was placed during LPCxpresso installation.

This allowed me go PASS the previous error (about missing [/SIZE][SIZE=2]CMSISv2p00_LPC17xx project) but I got this pop up window:

QUOTE :
[/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=Red]An internal error occurred during: "C/C++ Indexer".
java.lang.NullPointerException
[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2]
So something is wrong with either my JAVA or actual Java application code / Win XP compatibility. I will try to do all possible JAVA updates and see what happens.
[/SIZE]
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by TheFallGuy on Sat Apr 07 01:36:12 MST 2012

Quote:

[SIZE=2][COLOR=magenta]So may be you can tell me what exactly shall I copy and where to make this work ? Would be most appreciated. [/COLOR][/SIZE]

You know, I already told you this.
[Quote]
[SIZE=2]2. Import the CMSIS project for your chip (Examples/NXP/LPC1000/LPC17xx/CMSISv2p00_LPC17xx.zip. [/SIZE]
[/Quote]Is it really that hard to follow instructions, or is it easy to just say 'it is too hard' and blame everybody except yourself.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by Ex-Zero on Fri Apr 06 18:53:21 MST 2012

Quote: lipny
[SIZE=2][COLOR=magenta]So may be you can tell me what exactly shall I copy and where to make this work ? Would be most appreciated. [/COLOR][/SIZE]

Don't copy :eek: Import :)

See: http://ics.nxp.com/support/training/lpcxpresso.intro.1/

There are also a few nice videos at 'Literature' of  http://ics.nxp.com/lpcxpresso/

Especially:

http://ics.nxp.com/support/training/learn.eclipse.lpcxpresso/
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by lipny on Fri Apr 06 18:40:42 MST 2012
[SIZE=2]
Quote: TheFallGuy
It is really quite simple, as most people on this forum will agree.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]1. Create a new workspace - anywhere you like[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]2. Import the CMSIS project for your chip (Examples/NXP/LPC1000/LPC17xx/CMSISv2p00_LPC17xx.zip. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]3. Use the New Project Wizard to create a new project[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]The key thing is that CMSIS is a library *project* and needs to exists as a project in your workspace.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Of course, you don't even have to use CMSIS, in which case, in the wizard just select None for the CMSIS version.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]To create some new files, just select a project and press the 'c' or 'h' icons in the toolbar. You can drag/drop files from Explorer into a project too.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]It really is not difficult.

[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]I did ALL that already - see my post above : but I get a msg at the top :[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][COLOR=blue]                        The project CMSISv2p00_LPC17xx must exist in the workspace[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]and that's it - can't progress further.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Note that I followed G.S. manual rev 11.1 , DEC 2011- and page 26 in particular (Create the ‘Skeleton’ project etc). [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]My workspace is (created as per G.S., sec 6.6.1) : C:\nxp\workspace_proj2.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]I even copied the whole "examples.lpc17xx.new.zip" and "CMSISv2p00_LPC17xx.zip" to "C:\nxp\workspace_proj2" directory. Still no luck.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]So when it says : [/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]project CMSISv2p00_LPC17xx must exist[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]then is it the ZIP file of that name that it needs there ? Or what ? [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]I even unpacked the above ZIPs to C:\nxp\workspace_proj2. Still no good.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Thanks[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Li Pny[/SIZE]
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by lipny on Fri Apr 06 18:01:36 MST 2012
[COLOR=blue]RE: Oh - just try to click on the "c+" and "h+" icons in the tool bar just below the menu and see what happens - maybe you'll learn to like the tools after all [/COLOR]

I did already - all it does is create a blank new .c file. What I need is import my existing .c and .h files into the project in order to build it. The whole lot (my .c and .h files) works already under CoIDE, loads to my target fitted with LPC17xx uC and runs OK etc but I need to debug the code now. 'Open loop' debugging is too time consuming. That's why I bought LPC XPRESSO board.

[COLOR=blue]RE: Getting Started manual[/COLOR] : I did, of course BEFORE posting anything (manual version : [B][SIZE=1]Rev. 11.1 — 1 December 2011[/SIZE][/B]).
Problem is that following the G.S. manual triggered errors in 'LPC17xx.h not found' etc. I also get JAVA NULL POINTER messages. I managed to go past all that by ... searching the whole C:\NXP\...\LPC repository for all .h files and dumping their newest versions to the workspace\inc directory. This solved the 'header files not found' issue. I manage to build now. I know it is not the way it should have been done but at least I managed to complile the basic 'adc_buzzer' example.

In order to actually create my won project I managed to go through some of the steps on page 26 :[SIZE=2] "6.6.2 Create the ‘Skeleton’ project ". B[/SIZE]ut after :
- "[SIZE=2]Click on ‘New project…" and then [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]- "select the NXP C project type for your architecture" and then[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]- typing the NAME of new project and then [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]- selecting the uC from the list in (LPC1700 family) the next window comes up with this at the top: [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]

[COLOR=blue][SIZE=2]                      New project: [/SIZE][/COLOR]
[COLOR=blue]               The project CMSISv2p00_LPC17xx must exist in the workspace[/COLOR]

And that's it. And I FOLLOWED all steps in the G.S. manual !
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by ex-kayoda on Fri Apr 06 15:50:01 MST 2012

Quote: Zero
-Perfect Programming LPC MCUs without ever reading boring manuals in 10 minutes for dump and lazy engineers

That's exactly what I need. I'm under pressure with my actual project, so could you also provide a 5 minute video?
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by Ex-Zero on Fri Apr 06 15:42:39 MST 2012
Yes, it's time to start a few new 'Getting Started'. So NXP, Code Red, forum members: please help :)

I'm missing a few important topics here like:

-Perfect Programming LPC MCUs without ever reading boring manuals

-Perfect Programming LPC MCUs without ever reading boring manuals in 10 minutes

-Perfect Programming LPC MCUs without ever reading boring manuals in 10 minutes for kids

-Perfect Programming LPC MCUs without ever reading boring manuals in 10 minutes for dump kids

-Perfect Programming LPC MCUs without ever reading boring manuals in 10 minutes for dump and lazy kids

and last not least

-Perfect Programming LPC MCUs without ever reading boring manuals in 10 minutes for dump and lazy engineers

Shouldn't be too difficult to teach every brain-dead doing amazing things without working too hard :rolleyes:
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by ukmeterman on Fri Apr 06 14:17:58 MST 2012
I do think a valid point has been made, this forum could with a number of stickes at the top with some of the minor points of getting projects working. The learning curve of Eclipse + a new part + Lpcxpresso can be a bit steep.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by Rob65 on Fri Apr 06 11:04:14 MST 2012
This is very sad indeed ...

Quote: lipny

In early days it was simple : r-click on the project OR go to menu and ADD SOURCE file etc . But with LPCXpresso : forget it. It probably (probably) is possible to add a source file but in their smartness developers hid that somewhere.

Sad ...

Wow - you just found the perfect way to make my day!
I could not think of a nicer starting point for my Easter weekend and I even started of by writing some text to explain that what you've experienced would have almost all been solved by reading the Getting Started manual.

If you have real questions, try to search this forum or just use google search (add site:knowledgebase.nxp.com on google to search just this forum). If you then still have questions, feel free to ask them and hopefully you'll find someone still willing to provide an answer :eek:

The Getting Started document indeed contains illustrations from an old version of the LPCXpresso tools. You get this all for free and there is no time or budget to update all the illustrations each time the Eclipse interface changes a bit.

Oh - just try to click on the "c+" and "h+" icons in the tool bar just below the menu and see what happens - maybe you'll learn to like the tools after all :D

[B]Meanwhile all I can do is ask someone from NXP or Code Red to close (or  even better remove) this thread. It just has a too much negative  vibrations ...
[/B]
Cheers and thanks again :([INDENT]Rob
[/INDENT]
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by TheFallGuy on Fri Apr 06 06:45:04 MST 2012
It is really quite simple, as most people on this forum will agree.

1. Create a new workspace - anywhere you like
2. Import the CMSIS project for your chip (Examples/NXP/LPC1000/LPC17xx/CMSISv2p00_LPC17xx.zip.
3. Use the New Project Wizard to create a new project

The key thing is that CMSIS is a library *project* and needs to exists as a project in your workspace.

Of course, you don't even have to use CMSIS, in which case, in the wizard just select None for the CMSIS version.

To create some new files, just select a project and press the 'c' or 'h' icons in the toolbar. You can drag/drop files from Explorer into a project too.

It really is not difficult.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by lipny on Fri Apr 06 05:26:22 MST 2012
Vicious circle !

One wants to create a brand new project using Xpresso WIZARD (!!!) and the wizard itself says it can't be done because some PROJECT ! is missing. And all this after EVERYTHING was installed properly from RED CODE executable.

Even importing some example projects does not work :
- the above wizard still wants that CMSISv2_LPC17xx (in my case it is LPC17xx family) and all this with no further explanation or even better some assistance in actually COPYING needed stuff from NXP installation / repository
- user CAN NOT choose his own WORKPLACE location (i.e. MUST use default one) because if he tries then another error comes up during build : missing LPC17xx.h.

To me it is just unbelievable that in 2012 the SIMPLEST user OWN code can not be created with the product that is advertised as SIMPLE and EASY to use, yet it can not be run without the pain of spending HOURS and HOURS on the internet to get the thing going.

Also the illustrations in GETTING STARTED are DIFFERENT than in the IDE - both were taken from the net at the same time.

So far I only managed to build 'buzzer' example and once to start and run a debug session on 'XPRESSO's sister board' fitted with LPC1769. But the next day the debugger did not allow me to do anything - all icons and menu items were shaded out. Note that ALL h/w was unchanged on my desk from previous day. All plugged to the same USB socket etc.

There is something perverse in some of the f/w dev tools developed in recent years : they seems to be friendly only to their creators. Users perceive them way different. And if it was just me then may one could say that I am too dumb to use them. But the problem is that many of my co-engineers say the same. Some of them actually stopped using newer debuggers altogether because of the problems. LPC17xx is a new family to me and after few weeks of 'open loop development' I decided to try Xpresso. Result so far : disappointment and a waste of time.

And the IDE is so complex that is almost unusable. Items hidden in weird places. For example : say one wants to add a set of new source / header files. So far I did not manage to find out HOW TO DO THAT ! I looked in "Getting started with NXP LPCXpresso" PDF and what I see there does not match the tool I installed. And there is no way to even find out WHICH VERSION of the tool the PDF refers to !

In early days it was simple : r-click on the project OR go to menu and ADD SOURCE file etc . But with LPCXpresso : forget it. It probably (probably) is possible to add a source file but in their smartness developers hid that somewhere.

Sad ...
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by MikeHalo on Thu Oct 21 14:34:17 MST 2010
Hi there,

I'm a newbie too and had the same problem.

It seems you can't just import the one project: import all of the examples, clean, then rebuild.

Good luck.
Mike
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by CodeRedSupport on Thu Oct 21 08:45:21 MST 2010
When creating a new project with the CMSIS option enabled within the wizard, the appropriate CMSIS library project must already exist in the workspace your  new project is being created in.

If this is not the case, then you can import the appropriate library project  into your workspace using the "Import Example project(s)" entry of the  IDE's Quickstart Panel, and selecting the appropriately named CMSIS zip  example file.

For more information on CMSIS, please see:

http://support.code-red-tech.com/CodeRedWiki/Support4CMSIS

Regards,
CodeRedSupport
0 Kudos