cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrating from LPC1766 to LPC1830

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by ricardo.pastore@mobitec.com.br on Tue Jan 13 09:55:02 MST 2015

We are redesigning a board that currently  runs with LPC1766. We will deploy the LPC1830 for this upgrade. My main concern is to implement a firmware update though USB memory sticks. In the LPC1766 we implemented our own algorithm stored in a sector of the internal flash(32K). This boot loader used calls to IAP (in Application Program) implemented in ROM.  In my firmware  I had  also implement the Mass Storage Class which I downloaded from lpcware.com wich I interfaced with a .lib to implement FAT16.
Now if LPC1830, how can I implement it? Since There is no internal FLASH to store the boadloader  to update the firmware trough USB stick memory? Is it possible to have a separate external flash memory to store the boot loader to update the quadSPI (applicaton firmware)  trougth USB?

Tks
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by mc on Sun Feb 15 21:07:48 MST 2015
Hi Ricardo,
Yes, you can have qSPI flash with LPC1825 . You can execute from qSPI flash. The code execution from qSPI flash will be slower than internal flash.
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by ricardo.pastore@mobitec.com.br on Sun Feb 15 10:47:49 MST 2015
Is it possible to deploy an LPC1825 which has internal flash memory and also have an external qSPI flash, both for instruction  code?  Can I alternate both for code execution? This is for future implemantation in case we run out of internal flash memory.

Thank you

Ricardo
0 Kudos

lpcware
NXP Employee
NXP Employee
Content originally posted in LPCWare by bavarian on Wed Jan 14 01:44:34 MST 2015
When you do a firmware upgrade on the internal flash of LPC1766 you work on a flash which still contains the old image and where the new image gets applied somehow.
The same situation is with the LPC1830 and external qSPI flash. You have an old image in the flash, you need to relocate some firmware upgrade code into SRAM which manages then the upgrade of the firmware in the external flash. The qSPI flashes have a sector structure, so you can have a bootloader in the first sector, your primary image in the second sector, your upgraded firmware image in the third sector etc.
You only need to make sure that you can always boot. Many qSPI types offer a protection of blocks/sectors, so you can make sure that your bootloader does get erased by accident.
The programming algorithms for the qSPI flashes are not covered by the IAP/ISP ROM code in LPC1830, so you need to take this from some code examples, for example from here:

http://www.lpcware.com/SPIFI

Regards,
NXP Support Team.
0 Kudos