Eclipse or VSCode? Opinions?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Eclipse or VSCode? Opinions?

dorian63
Contributor I

Hi all. I have a new project to develop, and found that LPC55S26 is the best mcu for that. However, it is the first time I approach NXP, so I have a lot of things to discover and understand.

My doubts start with the IDE: there are two. One is MCUXpresso and the other is the same, but "for VSCode". I am trying both, but being so new to all this ecosystem, I would like to concentrate on just one.

I don't understand why there are 2 products, and NXP doesn't seem to push for one or the other...

What IDE should I use, giving that I have a lot to learn? Any other opinion or advice about this? TY.

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies

dorian63
Contributor I

Thank you @EdwinHz , your reply is really useful, and I will do what you suggest.

Regards,

Dorian

0 Kudos

EdwinHz
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @dorian63,

I recommend you go with the standalone MCUXpresso IDE.

MCUXpresso for VS Code is a plugin for VS Code that adds the features and capabilities to develop and debug embedded projects for our MCUs and MPUs. It was created by request of our customers that already use a lot of VS Code, but it was launched just last year and is not a full replacement of MCUXpresso IDE just yet. Although quite capable, you will find that the VS Code plugin does not have all of the capabilities of the standalone IDE. The IDE has had years of bugfixes and as well as a larger compilation of documentation and trainings, which can be very useful when starting out. Not only that, but it has full integration with ConfigTools, which provides a much more user-friendly approach to configurating the pins, clocks and modules of your MCU. If using VS Code, the standalone version of Config Tools would have to be installed.

In conclusion, as of now, MCUXpresso for VS Code is a great and very capable tool to program NXP chips in a quick and straight forward manner, which can provide a good integration to the developer's workflow if they already use VS Code. On the other hand, MCUXpresso IDE provides the full developer experience by being much more robust and feature rich, as well as having more extra resources like ample documentation and trainings.

I hope this answers your question.

Welcome to NXP and thank you for choosing us!

BR,
Edwin.

0 Kudos