cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Debug mode on LPC54114 (WLCSP49 package) uses LPC-Link2 via SWD interface

ericchan
Contributor I

Hi NXP Staff,

We are designing our product PCBA with LPC54114 (WLCSP49 package). Can we use LPC-Link2 connect to onboard MCU via SWD interface for software debug (single step, break point..etc..) on MCUXpresso IDE environment?
https://www.nxp.com/design/microcontrollers-developer-resources/lpc-microcontroller-utilities/lpc-li...

SWCLK, SWDIO and GND are necessary for SWD interface.
SWO pin is for trace feature. What is trace feature? If I only need single step, break point.... so the SWO pin is no need to connect for debug purpose?

Thanks,
Eric

0 Kudos
3 Replies

converse
Senior Contributor V

Yes, SWD can be used to debug via any external debug probe, including LPC-Link2 and the newer MCU-Link.

This article gives useful information

https://community.nxp.com/t5/LPCXpresso-IDE-FAQs/Design-Considerations-for-Debug/m-p/469565

0 Kudos

ericchan
Contributor I

Dear NXP Staff

As the IO pins of the MCU is not enough for our product design, so I would like to use IO pin on SWO for other usage. Before make the decision, we would like to confirm once I remove the "SWO" pin from the debug purpose (only keep SWCLK, SWDIO and GND for debug), the general debug feature (e.g. single step, break point, etc..) will be affected or not? We have to make it clear before we change the design and keep the debug feature work.

Finally, in the supported devices list of LPC-Link2, we only found LPC546XX & LPC540XX in LPC54000 Cortex-M4 series. Can it support LPC54114 MCU?

Thanks for your help,
Eric

0 Kudos

converse
Senior Contributor V

If you don't want to use SWO, just do not connect it to the debug header - it means the trace functionality will not be available to your developers, but will have no effect on debug.

LPC-Link2 can support any Cortex-M device. Provide the part is supported in the IDE, then LPC-Link2 will support it.

0 Kudos