cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating a custom board project using mqx/ksdk/kds/pe

towerer
Contributor III

Hello,

what is the right way to create software for a custom board? say, i used a twr-k64 board, have software running there, now i design a custom board. The twr-k64 board is in all sorts of include paths.

If i see it right, the bsp cloning wizard was used before kds for this.

What is the way to do this on KDS with KSDK, KSDK-MQX and PE?

Greetings,

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies

ivadorazinova
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Manuel,

you can start with KSDK, we recommend to use new version of KDS and KSDK.

So, KDS 3.0 and KSDK 1.2 you can download from our websites.

Kinetis Design Studio Integrated Development |Freescale

Software Development Kit for Kinetis MCUs|Freescale

For help with installation could help you this tutorial

Video Link : 3281

and for creating new project with KSDK, MQX and PE in KDS, you can follow this tutorial

How To: Create an MQX RTOS for KSDK project with Processor Expert in Kinetis Design Studio IDE 

you can use BSP cloning wizard but no in combination with KSDK.

I hope this helps,

Best Regards,

Iva

towerer
Contributor III

Thanks for your response. Sadly, is not helpful and does not answer my question. Neither installation nor getting started is a problem for me.

you can use BSP cloning wizard but no in combination with KSDK.

Thats what i already know. My question was, now that the cloning wizard is no longer usable, what is the official way of porting an existing project to a custom board. I cant imagine KSDK/KDS/PE/MQX to be a learning platform for playing on the provided example boards only. Or is it? That would be very disappointing.

0 Kudos

ivadorazinova
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Manuell,

Unfortunatelly no. There is no tool yet, you can do it by your way.

Because in BSP you change low-level interface (clocks, pins... etc) and it is set in KSDK code.

Official way of porting an existing project to custom board is possible only with using classic MQX 4.2.

Best Regards,

Iva

0 Kudos

towerer
Contributor III

So there is no way of using KSDK on a custom board? And nobody is complaining? That cant be true, as KSDK can be enabled for selecting a processor only in the wizard (not using a board).

In PE, as far as i can see, i could change the pins etc. used. I see no reason why i could not use a custom board. But, MQX and middleware for KSDK has the boardname in some paths. Every MQX guide tells to import the right projects for the right board, and compile them.(example: C:\Freescale\KSDK_1.2.0\rtos\mqx\build\kds\workspace_twrk64f120m).

I will ask more specified.

Assuming I created a project using KSDK and PE, defined pins etc. right for my custom board, and add MQX.

Do i then need to build MQX seperate from my project (as before in MQX classic), or is this no longer needed? If so, how does PE determine from which build folder it has to use MQX?

0 Kudos

ivadorazinova
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Manuel Storzer,

If you create KSDK project, KSDK use Freescale MQX RTOS for Kinetis SDK

MQX RTOS for KSDK is the part of KSDK installation package.

So it is difference with "classic MQX - Freescale MQX RTOS

Pins for your custom board you should modify in board files which are located at C:\Freescale\KSDK_1.2.0\examples\twrk64f120m

ksdk.png

If you use own custom board, you should modify board.c, board.h, pin_mux.c, pin_mux.h and gpio_pins.c, gpio_pins.h according to schematic and reference manual.

I´m attaching you migration guide for porting custom chip in KSDK.

I hope this helps,

Iva

0 Kudos