its realy true that dsc mc56f84 (32bits) its better in performance that kinetis mkv46f256 in single point?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

its realy true that dsc mc56f84 (32bits) its better in performance that kinetis mkv46f256 in single point?

marcosdidjurgei
Contributor I

I think tha thump code is slower to process aritmetic that the dscs.

0 Kudos
2 Replies

xiangjun_rong
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi, Marcos,

Regarding the performance of DSP56800EX and Cortex-M4, I think it is dependent on the task you want to do, if you do FIR, IIR, FFT or the other regular algorithms, of course, the DSP56800EX has higher performance.

For DSP56800EX core, from assembly language, it supports parallel operation, for example, the following instruction can execute in one clock cycle:

MAC Y0,X0,A X:(R0)+,Y X:(R3)+,X0

In one clock cycle, it can compute multiply/addition and save the result to accumulator A, it can read two operands from respective memory to Y and X0 register, and update the address register R0 and R3. It supports modulo addressing mode, you do not need to reinitialize the address register. Furthermore, it has bit reverse function for FFT.

If the algorithms is inregular, I think they has similar performance.

Hope it can help you.

BR

XiangJun Rong

0 Kudos

egoodii
Senior Contributor III

Most Kinetis executions are single-clock-cycle, but that being said there can be other performance bottlenecks to consider.  Do you have some example assembly code you are comparing for absolute performance?

When you say 'single point' do you mean single-precision-floating-point, or fixed point (integer or scaled fractional) math?

0 Kudos