Which target to use for KL43Z48M within bootloader 2.0?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which target to use for KL43Z48M within bootloader 2.0?

Jump to solution
tonymakkiel
Contributor III

Hi All,

I am trying to familiarise myself with KL43Z48 which is the dev platform for KL17. Although the documentations refer to Kinetis Bootloader, I cant find a target mentioning *KL43* within bootloader2_0_0/targets.  Can somebody point me to some example code and correct bootloader specific to this boar please?

Many Thanks,

Tony

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Tony,

1. Yes, normal UART is the part of chip internal hardware, but the ROM bootloader just use the LPUART. Because the ROM bootloader already fixed in the chip, customer just need to use the commander to call the according interface which already defined in the reference manual, and customer can't change the ROM bootloader which is not defined.

30.jpg

So, if you don't want to use the LPUART, and want to use other UART module, you need to write the flash bootloader code, and use the normal uart module as your application code download interface, then put it into the chip's flash. In KBOOT 2.0, there has no flash bootloader for KL43, if you want to use the flash bootloader, you can refer to KL25's flash bootloader.

2. flash bootloader can be wrote by the customer, you can refer to KL25 flashbootloader :

NXP_Kinetis_Bootloader_2_0_0\targets\MKL25Z4

The flash bootloader needs to be implemented based on the according chip, because it is just one code, and the function is to update the application code, and execute the application code.

3. ROM bootloader don't need other on chip source code except the application code.

If you want to download the application code, you can use the KBOOT2.0 given PC tools. More details, please refer to

Getting Started with the Kinetis ROM Bootloader.pdf which can be found in: NXP_Kinetis_Bootloader_2_0_0\NXP_Kinetis_Bootloader_2_0_0\doc

Wish it helps you, if you still have question, please contact me!
Have a great day,
Jingjing

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
tonymakkiel
Contributor III

Thank you Jingjing.

0 Kudos
kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Tony,

Do you still have any other question?

If you still have question, please kindly let me know!

If your question is solved, could you help me to click the Correct Answer button? Thank you!

Have a great day,
Jingjing

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

0 Kudos
tonymakkiel
Contributor III

- Going back to my original question, why doesn't KL43Z or KL17 have a flash bootloader? Is it because it is not implemented yet?

- I am going through the KL17 Reference Manual (KL17P64M48SF2RM). According to section 13.3.2, offset 0x10 read by bootloader, can be used to enable/disable peripherals. Although LPUART is mentioned, can't find anything about normal UART? How is it controlled?

- Where can I download the Rom bootloader ?

Many Thanks,

Tony

0 Kudos
kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Tony,

Flash bootloader is a segment program code in the flash, actually, you also can use the flash bootloader in KL43Z or KL17, if the chip have flash, and larger enough to put your flashbootloader and the application code, you can use the flash bootloader. Because KL43 and KL17 already have the ROM bootloader, so the KBOOT didn't give it's according flashbootloader, but you can refer to other KL series flashbootloader to write your KL43 and KL17 flashbootloader.

About the question why you can't find the UART, just find the LPUART,  because ROM bootloader already associate with the chip internal hardware, this chip just be designed to use the LPUART. If you don't want to use LPUART, and want to use normal UART, you can choose the flashbootloader instead of the ROM bootloader.

ROM bootloader already in the chip, you don't need to download it, you just need to downloader your application code, for details, please refer to the ROM bootloader usage in the doc folder:NXP_Kinetis_Bootloader_2_0_0\NXP_Kinetis_Bootloader_2_0_0\doc

Getting Started with the Kinetis ROM Bootloader.pdf

Wish it helps you!

If you still have question, please contact with me.

Have a great day,
Jingjing

0 Kudos
tonymakkiel
Contributor III

I am still a bit confused.

"About the question why you can't find the UART, just find the LPUART,  because ROM bootloader already associate with the chip internal hardware, this chip just be designed to use the LPUART."

Isn't normal UART also part of chip internal hardware? Did you mean to say, normal UART will be enabled all the time irrespective of the offset value?

"If you don't want to use LPUART, and want to use normal UART, you can choose the flashbootloader instead of the ROM bootloader."

Which flashbootloader are we talking about? Did you mean the flash bootloader which needs to be implemented based on the KL series?

I understand ROM bootloader is already in the chip. Is the source code of the 'ROM Bootloader' available?

0 Kudos
kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Tony,

1. Yes, normal UART is the part of chip internal hardware, but the ROM bootloader just use the LPUART. Because the ROM bootloader already fixed in the chip, customer just need to use the commander to call the according interface which already defined in the reference manual, and customer can't change the ROM bootloader which is not defined.

30.jpg

So, if you don't want to use the LPUART, and want to use other UART module, you need to write the flash bootloader code, and use the normal uart module as your application code download interface, then put it into the chip's flash. In KBOOT 2.0, there has no flash bootloader for KL43, if you want to use the flash bootloader, you can refer to KL25's flash bootloader.

2. flash bootloader can be wrote by the customer, you can refer to KL25 flashbootloader :

NXP_Kinetis_Bootloader_2_0_0\targets\MKL25Z4

The flash bootloader needs to be implemented based on the according chip, because it is just one code, and the function is to update the application code, and execute the application code.

3. ROM bootloader don't need other on chip source code except the application code.

If you want to download the application code, you can use the KBOOT2.0 given PC tools. More details, please refer to

Getting Started with the Kinetis ROM Bootloader.pdf which can be found in: NXP_Kinetis_Bootloader_2_0_0\NXP_Kinetis_Bootloader_2_0_0\doc

Wish it helps you, if you still have question, please contact me!
Have a great day,
Jingjing

0 Kudos
kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Tony,

KL43 already have the in device ROM bootloader, so you just need to refer to the document: Getting Started with the Kinetis ROM Bootloader.pdf to download the app through the ROM bootloader.

You can find Getting Started with the Kinetis ROM Bootloader.pdf in folder: NXP_Kinetis_Bootloader_2_0_0\doc

bootloader2_0_0/targets is just for the flash bootloader, these tagets mainly use the flash bootloader.

If you want to use the KL43, just use the in device ROM bootloader.

Wish it helps you!

If you still have question, please contact me!

Have a great day,
Jingjing

0 Kudos
tonymakkiel
Contributor III

Thank you Jingiing.

Can you also point me to the example application code as well please? If I am not wrong, device comes with accelerometer, LCD etc code already running on the board.

Many Thanks,

Tony

0 Kudos
tonymakkiel
Contributor III

Found some example code in SDK :smileyhappy:.

0 Kudos
kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Tony,

Yes, you can find the KL43 example in KDSK, please download the KDS2.0_FRDM_KL43 from this link:

Welcome to Kinetis Expert | Kinetis Expert

Select the FRDM_KL43 board, then generate the KSDK2.0 sample code.

Wish it helps you!

If you still have question, please let me know!

Have a great day,
Jingjing

0 Kudos