Sunplus SPLC780D LCD on FRDM-K64F

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sunplus SPLC780D LCD on FRDM-K64F

ve3id
Contributor III

I had an app, working on a FRDM-K64F, which used a home-brew LCD carrier board and the Sunplus LCD.  Needing more and not wanting to do more hand-wiring, I saw that the K64F outer pins are Arduino-compatible and bought 3 OSEPP-LCD-01 modules with the Sunplus chip for my 3 K64Fs.

I soon found that the GPIO bits are not contiguous where the Arduino-type LCD wants to see them, so I wrote code to shuffle them around and have that working fine.  Foolishly I decided to eliminate the use of delay loops that I had been using at the same time!

I read from the data sheet that the chip does not set the BUSY bit until after three 0x30s are sent, so I used delay loops for that.  I read the delay times from the data sheet and implemented them precisely.

Most init codes decoding properly, according to my Logic8 analyser with built in 44870 decoder, however, no matter what delay I put after issuing a 0x01 Clear Screen, I cannot sync on to anything past that - getting nibble shift errors in the data that the Logic8 decodes.  e.g. 0F is decoded as F8, 8 being the first nibble of the next command.  Obviously it is missing one nibble and decoding the rest offset, but no timing changes I do seem to fix it!

Waiting for the busy bit to clear doesn't work either.

Has anybody done any work with these LCDs?

cheers,

Nigel

Update: Yes, I know the stock LCD module has the R/-W line grounded, I have broken that connection and wired it to a GPIO pin.

2 Replies

_Leo_
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

Thank you so much for your interest in our products and for using our community.

Sorry, but we do not have any example code for the SPLC780D LCD.

Have a nice day!

0 Kudos

ve3id
Contributor III

Thanks for the reply.  I managed to get it going using my existing HD44780 code and fiddling a lot with the delay loops. I wasn't able to get it working by using the BUSY bit though. I've moved on right now to the actual app and will have to go back and perfect the driver later - right now it is useful as a debugging aid to get on with the project!

0 Kudos