Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Programming KV5x Microcontrollers

Jump to solution
hamed
Contributor I

Hello to all.

I am a student and as a part of my senior project, we need to design a board with MKV58F1M0VLQ24 on it. I searched a lot and looked at the datasheet and reference manual, but I am still confused about programming the chip. Does this chip support in-system programming? The only thing I could find was one-time ISP with Bootloader, and of course JTAG. I was just wondering if there is any other way of programming the chip.

Thank you for your responses.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Hamed,

If you don't want to use the JTAG or SWD interface connect with the programmer to program the KV58 chip.

You can use the flash bootloader to download the code with UART, I2C, SPI or CAN.

But flash bootloader also one code should be programmed to the chip by the JTAG at first, after the chip have the according flash bootloader code, then the user firmware can be downloaded by the according communication interface.

About the flash bootloader for KV58, please refer to our KBOOT2.0 which can be downloader from this link:

Kinetis Bootloader|NXP 

More details about the flash bootloader, please read the doc in the KBOOT2.0.

Wish it helps you!

If you still have question, please let me know!

Have a great day,
Jingjing

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Hamed,

If you don't want to use the JTAG or SWD interface connect with the programmer to program the KV58 chip.

You can use the flash bootloader to download the code with UART, I2C, SPI or CAN.

But flash bootloader also one code should be programmed to the chip by the JTAG at first, after the chip have the according flash bootloader code, then the user firmware can be downloaded by the according communication interface.

About the flash bootloader for KV58, please refer to our KBOOT2.0 which can be downloader from this link:

Kinetis Bootloader|NXP 

More details about the flash bootloader, please read the doc in the KBOOT2.0.

Wish it helps you!

If you still have question, please let me know!

Have a great day,
Jingjing

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

0 Kudos
ahmedbajwa
Contributor I

Hi Kerry,

I'm also part of a student team doing a project that uses the MKV58 microcontroller. We were going to use JTAG to program the microcontroller. I was wondering if there's a reference manual for programming the microcontroller and/or the hardware design?

Thanks

0 Kudos
kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Ahmed,

This question post is really very old.

Actually, if you have your own question, you can create the question post by yourself, please don't follow the post which already be marked the correct answer, it means that question is solved. This time, I will reply directly, but next time, please create your own post, thank you!

About the KV58 program manual and hardware design.

Please refer to our official board:

Kinetis KV5x Family Tower System Module|NXP 

There has the get started item, please refer to it.

Have a great day,
Kerry

0 Kudos
hamed
Contributor I

Thank you for the response. Then it seems JTAG is the way to go!

0 Kudos