Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MK10DX256VMC7 compatible IDE?

Jump to solution
jrivera_eizo
Contributor I

Hello All,

Currently I am working on a large project to port over some source code that was originally developed for the MK10DX256VLH7 (Kinetis K10 64-LQFP) to a MK10DX256VMC7 (Kinetis K10 121-MAPBGA). Both MCUs are part of the same family line.

The original project was created using CodeWarrior and we were hoping that we could continue using CodeWarrior for development. Currently the primary IDE we are using "CodeWarrior Development Studio" (CodeWarrior for MCU; Version: 11.1; Build Id:181224).

When creating a new MCU Bareboard project we see that "MK10DX256" is listed which at first glance looks like there would be no issues. Under further investigation some confusion emerged when something was noticed when looking at the CodeWarrior generated "Project_Headers" folder. Inside there was a header called "MK10D7.h" which seems to list all the supported processors we assumed. We noticed that the MCU we chose (MK10DX256VMC7) wasn't listed as one of the processors in the header list. The following is what is found inside the header:

/*
** ###################################################################
**     Processors:          MK10DX64VLH7
**                          MK10DX128VLH7
**                          MK10DX256VLH7
**                          MK10DX64VLK7
**                          MK10DX128VLK7
**                          MK10DX256VLK7
**                          MK10DX128VLL7
**                          MK10DX256VLL7
**                          MK10DX64VMB7
**                          MK10DX128VMB7
**                          MK10DX256VMB7
**                          MK10DX128VML7
**                          MK10DX256VML7

The questions we have are:

1. Is the current version of CodeWarrior still compatible with MK10DX256VMC7? If not which IDE should be chosen?
  2. If CodeWarrior is compatible, should we be concerned with the fact that the new MCU isn't listed inside the header? Are there supporting files that exist that allow the MK10DX256VMC7 to still be used?
  3. Are there any other special considerations that should be known if still the "MK10DX256" bareboard template is used despite the MCU not being listed?

Part of the problem is we don't have the hardware in house yet nor could we find an evaluation board with that particular MCU to help answer these questions yet.

Thank you for any answers or advice.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi jrivera_eizo,

Now, answer your questions:

1. Is the current version of CodeWarrior still compatible with MK10DX256VMC7? If not which IDE should be chosen?

Answer: To be honest, this MK10DX256VMC7 is very old, even the new MCUXpresso IDE can't support it, as no new SDK for it.

So, if you still use the MK10DX256VMC7, you can still use the Codewarrior, although it already don't update the kinetis.

In fact, we recommend the customer use MK22FN128VDC10 to replace your MK10DX256VMC7.

Or, you also can use 3rd part IDE, IAR, MDK.

2.If CodeWarrior is compatible, should we be concerned with the fact that the new MCU isn't listed inside the header? Are there supporting files that exist that allow the MK10DX256VMC7 to still be used?

Answer: About the header, don't worry, you can use it.

That header can support MK10DX256VLL7, MK10DX256VLL7 and the MK10DX256VMC7 are the same reference manual, so you can use it.

3.Are there any other special considerations that should be known if still the "MK10DX256" bareboard template is used despite the MCU not being listed?

Answer: You just need to care about the detail pin function, to the header, I think it's OK.

Or you can change to use MK22FN128VDC10, which already in the MCUXPresso and the SDK support list:

https://mcuxpresso.nxp.com/en/select

image.png

Wish it helps you!

Best Regards,

Kerry

View solution in original post

4 Replies
kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi jrivera_eizo,

Now, answer your questions:

1. Is the current version of CodeWarrior still compatible with MK10DX256VMC7? If not which IDE should be chosen?

Answer: To be honest, this MK10DX256VMC7 is very old, even the new MCUXpresso IDE can't support it, as no new SDK for it.

So, if you still use the MK10DX256VMC7, you can still use the Codewarrior, although it already don't update the kinetis.

In fact, we recommend the customer use MK22FN128VDC10 to replace your MK10DX256VMC7.

Or, you also can use 3rd part IDE, IAR, MDK.

2.If CodeWarrior is compatible, should we be concerned with the fact that the new MCU isn't listed inside the header? Are there supporting files that exist that allow the MK10DX256VMC7 to still be used?

Answer: About the header, don't worry, you can use it.

That header can support MK10DX256VLL7, MK10DX256VLL7 and the MK10DX256VMC7 are the same reference manual, so you can use it.

3.Are there any other special considerations that should be known if still the "MK10DX256" bareboard template is used despite the MCU not being listed?

Answer: You just need to care about the detail pin function, to the header, I think it's OK.

Or you can change to use MK22FN128VDC10, which already in the MCUXPresso and the SDK support list:

https://mcuxpresso.nxp.com/en/select

image.png

Wish it helps you!

Best Regards,

Kerry

jrivera_eizo
Contributor I

Thank you for all the helpful information @kerryzhou!

We were running into the same issues about not finding a compatible SDK for MCUXpresso after @myke_predko suggested giving it a look. I'll talk to my team and discuss which direction to move in and I appreciate all the suggestions your provided.

Thank you again,

jrivera

0 Kudos
kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi jrivera_eizo,

You are always, welcome!

If you need any help from our side in the future, welcome to create the new question post!

BTW, after your internal decision, if you really can accept to update your old kinetis chip to the new kinetis chip, please also kindly let me know. Even you want to select the new NXP MCU, I will also help you!

Best Regards,

Kerry

0 Kudos
myke_predko
Senior Contributor III

Hi @jrivera_eizo 

Have you looked at MCUXpresso IDE?  It's Eclipse based, like CodeWarrior, but currently supportd by NXP (unlike CW).  

I have used CW in the past with unsupported part numbers (of which there were quite a few) and have created new a  BSP (Board Support Package) copied from a similar device and modified it to fit the part. However, it's a lot of work and if you get something wrong, it will be up to you to find it and fix it - don't expect any support from NXP or anybody on this board.  

The much easier solution is to move to MCUXpresso.  Right now, I'm supporting product code written with CW as well as new products with MCUXpresso and I have to say that MCUXpresso is a much better tool with it's Wizards (as opposed to Processor Expert).  

myke

0 Kudos