KL0 power consumption @ 4 mhz - 3x higher than expected.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

KL0 power consumption @ 4 mhz - 3x higher than expected.

austinappleby
Contributor I

I'm doing some basic power consumption tests on a MLK05Z32 chip and am seeing much higher power consumption than expected - with a 4 mhz system clock (fast internal reference clock, FLL disabled) and 2 mhz bus clock (OUTDIV4=1), the chip is drawing about 1.5 milliamps in a simple LED blink test. That's about 3x the draw of the competitor's chip with the same clocks & code - rather disappointing.

I'm looking for ways to reduce the power draw, but not having much luck - the application I'm evaluating the chip for will require some cycle-accurate bitbanging, so I don't think VLPR mode will work for me as the 0.8 mhz flash clock in that mode slows things down whenever there's an instruction cache miss.

Are there any other ways to reduce the power draw that I'm missing? I need deterministic 4 mhz operation, no wait states.

-Austin

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies

Paul_Tian
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi, Austin

The current consume depends on both code and hardware. Would you please help to provide your schematic then tell me where you measure current. Thanks.

Best Regards

Paul

0 Kudos

austinappleby
Contributor I

There's no schematic to it - it's a bare MKL05Z32 chip on a breakout board with a 1 uF ceramic capacitor right next to it and I'm measuring the current into VDD through a 1 ohm resistor.

The only thing the code is doing is switching to the internal fast reference clock (IRCS 1, FCRDIV = 0, CLKS = 1, LP = 1, OUTDIV4 = 1), enabling PTB0 (SIM_SCGC5.PORTB = 1, PORTB_PCR0.MUX = 1, GPIOB_PDDR = 1), and then toggling the pin once a second.

0 Kudos