Is the k64 (MK64FN1M0VLL12) a good substitute to K60 (MK60DN512VLL10)?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the k64 (MK64FN1M0VLL12) a good substitute to K60 (MK60DN512VLL10)?

Jump to solution
felipevilaca
Contributor II

I am currently working with a K60 (MK60DN512VLL10) microcontroller with 100 pins and 512k flash, but I am needing for more memory. I found a possible solution K64 (MK64FN1M0VLL12) 100 pins 1Meg flash. What are the possibles problems that I will find? Currently, I am in the last prototype (no hardware modifications) and I need to put it in production for november this year. I am using several resources like DMA, SPI, I2C... MQX 4.1. several times I manually set registers.

Labels (1)
1 Solution
Jorge_Gonzalez
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Felipe Vilaca:

Yes, I think the K64 family is the right alternative for you, not only because of memory space but also for the improvements in power consumption, low power modes and new features such as the possibility to use Crystal-less USB in device mode. Besides, K64 family is fully supported by the latest software and tools enablement.

About the migration efforts, below my comments.

-> From hardware and application perspective, I think these are the most relevant points:

- The pinout is compatible between your K60 (100 pins) and the K64 (100 pins) part.

- The clock module (MCG) configuration is different. Besides there is an internal 48 MHz reference clock added to K64.

- The K60_100 has a FTFL flash module type, while the K64_120 has a FTFE module. The main differences are the sector sizes (2KB vs 4KB) and the programming unit (longword/4bytes vs phrase/8 bytes).

- K64 has only 1 CAN module instance.

- K64 does not have TSI module.

-> From enablement perspective:

- The fastest migration path is to use MQX v4.1. The patch for K64 is still available for download.

- You could also upgrade to MQX v4.2, which is the latest MQX classic release supporting K64 natively.

- The best option would be to migrate to the new MQX RTOS for KSDK. The disadvantage is that this migration will take more time. There is however an application note to guide you in the process: MQXKSDKPUG. For more information about MQX options visit the dedicated page:

Freescale MQX™ Software Solutions|Freescale

I hope my reply helps you!

Regards!

Jorge Gonzalez

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Jorge_Gonzalez
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Felipe Vilaca:

Yes, I think the K64 family is the right alternative for you, not only because of memory space but also for the improvements in power consumption, low power modes and new features such as the possibility to use Crystal-less USB in device mode. Besides, K64 family is fully supported by the latest software and tools enablement.

About the migration efforts, below my comments.

-> From hardware and application perspective, I think these are the most relevant points:

- The pinout is compatible between your K60 (100 pins) and the K64 (100 pins) part.

- The clock module (MCG) configuration is different. Besides there is an internal 48 MHz reference clock added to K64.

- The K60_100 has a FTFL flash module type, while the K64_120 has a FTFE module. The main differences are the sector sizes (2KB vs 4KB) and the programming unit (longword/4bytes vs phrase/8 bytes).

- K64 has only 1 CAN module instance.

- K64 does not have TSI module.

-> From enablement perspective:

- The fastest migration path is to use MQX v4.1. The patch for K64 is still available for download.

- You could also upgrade to MQX v4.2, which is the latest MQX classic release supporting K64 natively.

- The best option would be to migrate to the new MQX RTOS for KSDK. The disadvantage is that this migration will take more time. There is however an application note to guide you in the process: MQXKSDKPUG. For more information about MQX options visit the dedicated page:

Freescale MQX™ Software Solutions|Freescale

I hope my reply helps you!

Regards!

Jorge Gonzalez

0 Kudos
felipevilaca
Contributor II

Hello Jorge Gonzalez

Thank you for your return, it's a good application note and will help me a lot. There is a issue, what about the Processor Expert? I am using several kinds of LDD "Logical Device Drivers" modules. Is it compatible with MQX for Kinetis SDK?

pastedImage_2.png

0 Kudos
Jorge_Gonzalez
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Felipe:

The LDD components are available for K64, so you should be able to replicate your project using LDDs. But the LDD components are not compatible with the KSDK framework, so if you wish to migrate to MQX for KSDK then you have to use fsl_xxx components, which configure the KSDK peripheral drivers.

The next link is a tutorial for using Processor Expert + MQX for KSDK:

How To: Create an MQX RTOS for KSDK project with Processor Expert in Kinetis Design Studio IDE

Or without Processor Expert:

How To: Create a New MQX RTOS for KSDK Project in KDS

Regards!

Jorge Gonzalez