Is Codewarrior free for the FRDM-K20D50M board?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

offgrid
Contributor III

Also a couple of questions about the hardware:

Is the Segger Jlink compatible, and if so which model?

and how do I reprogram the original touch application?

I've tried dragging and dropping some of the precompiled examples into the FRDM-K20D50 folder and while the blue LED comes on and the green LED blink,

the original app does not come up. I can change the the color of the multicolor LED by using the blink_red and blink_blue srec, but can't get the slider to work??

Many thanks,

Tim

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
9 Replies

ZhangJennie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

codewarrior has different version: evaluation. special. basic. standard, professional.

only evaluation and special edition CW are free.

evaluation version has full function but it has time limit, normally 30day

special edition is perpetual but has 64k c code size limit for kinetis K family.

here is more version information:

CodeWarrior Development Suites

offgrid
Contributor III

Thanks Jennie, much appreciated.

Any idea about the other questions about J-link and reprogramming the FRDM-K20D50M with the as-shipped software?

The link for Kenetis is:

CodeWarrior Development Suites

Thanks,

Tim

0 Kudos

Jorge_Gonzalez
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Tim:

You can use any of the available J-Link probes, as they all support programming the K20 in the FRDM-K20D50M.

As for the initial software, have you tried dragging and dropping the "frdm-k20d50m-demo_freedom.srec"? It is inside of the Precompiled examples folder in Quick Start Package. If you don't have it, the download link is this:

FRDM-K20D50M Product Summary Page

After loading the application, I noticed that the slider does not work until you place the board completely horizontal (I mean the board in its natural position). Please try and let us know how it goes.

Regards!

Jorge Gonzalez

0 Kudos

offgrid
Contributor III

THanks Jorge,

I did try that file first, as that seemed closest to what I would expect the factory board to be programmed with.

My problem now is that I've programmed it to be in BOOTLOADER mode at powerup, and dragging and dropping

any of the srec files seems to have no effect.

Tim

0 Kudos

antonioconcio
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Tim,

Just a couple of comments in order to avoid confusion:

• OpenSDA supports several applications, such as Debugger (to be used with CW or other IDE), MSD (to be used to program MCU with simple drag/drop), CMSIS-DAP and so on. If you want to change application you will need to put the FRDM in bootloader mode and drag/drop application.sda but if you want to use s19 files to program micro you don't have to use bootloader mode but, after loading MSD application, connect board to PC without holding reset button.
  • You can find instructions HERE and the latest version of OpenSDA applications/drivers HERE
  • In addition to that, I want to clarify CodeWarrior is free up to 128k for kinetis-K and up to 64k for kinetis-L

Hope this helps,

Antonio

jrychter
Contributor V

Antonio Concio wrote:

• In addition to that, I want to clarify CodeWarrior is free up to 128k for kinetis-K and up to 64k for kinetis-L

There seems to be a bit of confusion around that. I've seen different numbers quoted in various places. Is this the definitive answer?

I want to doublecheck, because the FRDM-KL25Z board has an MKL25Z128 chip on it. Does this mean the free version of CodeWarrior can't even make use of a Freedom board?

I also want to doublecheck, because the MKL25Z128 is the *only* chip from the KL25 family available at reasonable prices from Farnell.

0 Kudos

BlackNight
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Yes, there is 64 KByte code size limitation for Kinetis-L, and 128 KByte for Kinetis-K. But this limitation applies to the debugger only, and only for .elf (debug information) files.

There is no limiation with the gcc compiler (default since 10.3), so no limits apply to the compiler/assembler/linker. And there is no code size limit if you download e.g. the S19 or assembly application (or downloading just the file to the target: Flashing with a Button (and a Magic Wand) | MCU on Eclipse).

0 Kudos

offgrid
Contributor III

Thank you Antonio, Jorge and Jennie,

I was dragging and dropping applications into the "USB drive" properly, but I somehow programmed the FRDM board into a perpetual BOOTLOADER mode.

I finally was able to re-program the factory demo program, which initially did not work....but then went into Device Manager in Win 7 and updated the driver, at which point the

factory demo program worked. I had updated the driver a couple of times before with differing results, so that is maybe a Windows bug...

Hope I can get reliable programming of the FRDM board as I's like to use it for a new product. If it's not reliable I cannot spend a lot of time dinking....

Thanks again all

Tim

0 Kudos

ZhangJennie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

You are welcome!

0 Kudos