cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to use the FRDM-KE15Z with MCUXpresso and JLINK Ultra+ debugger

isa_leo
Contributor I

Hi,

I'm trying to debug a project created on MCUXpresso that I've ported on the FRDM-KE15Z. I want to use the JLINK Ultra+ debugger and created a debug configuration for it but the probe cannot connect at all. I've tried with one of the project examples, (to rule out any particulars with my own project) given in the SDK but get same results so I'm assuming there's something else going on.

The version of the FRDM-KE15Z board (29023 REV B3) I received did not have the SWD connector (J17 from the schematic) so I've installed one and also made sure to remove  J7 and J8. The board is powered by the USB cable. I wanted to use an external 5V supply but it seems the board version I have does not have D8 populated and I was not too sure what else to do to make the board working with an external supply without damaging it.

So first, what are the steps to make MCUXpresso debugger to connect with the FDRM-KE15 board using an external JLINK debugger? Is there a special DAP FW that needs to be installed or jumper config to be set?

Second, If I want to power the board with an external supply, is there anything else we have to do than soldering a wire to pin C of D8 and remove the USB cable ?

Thanks,

LM

0 Kudos
2 Replies

isa_leo
Contributor I

Hi Pavel,

Sorry not getting back to you sooner.

Ok will give it a try but from the looks of it, it should just work. I'll let you know..

Thanks!

0 Kudos

Pavel_Hernandez
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello,

I reviewed the schematic and I suggest this recommendation could help you.

• You can use the USB as a power supply for 5v, check the D7. 
    • Or if you wanted to populate the D8, you can use the D7 is the same part [if you know of solder].
  • Open the J12 to isolate voltage for the MK20 [Open SDA].

Tell me if you need more information.

Best regards,
Pavel

0 Kudos