Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I have two Compiler ?

Jump to solution
joelesco
Contributor III

Hi ,

I come back for a new stupid question ! So I Open a project from an example and an other that I make. When I check the C build setting on the two differente project, one is working with the ARM ltd Windows GCC C Compiler and  the other with ARM compiler ! What's the difference ? Which is the best ?

This is my print screen :

ARM_compiler.jpg

Thank you !

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
TICS_Fiona
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

CodeWarrior 10.5 uses Freescale in house CW compiler (ARM compiler as you see in Project Properties). This compiler is Freescale proprietary. Whereas gcc is open source GNU C Compiler.

MCU10.5 has both Freescale CW and GCC v4.6.2 build tools. User can select tools of his choice. You will see there's an option to choose compiler when creating a new bareboard project for Kinetis.

I attached two documents, one is to explain why we add GCC compiler from CW10.3, the other is to show how to porting a project to GCC compiler. Hope they could help!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
TICS_Fiona
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

CodeWarrior 10.5 uses Freescale in house CW compiler (ARM compiler as you see in Project Properties). This compiler is Freescale proprietary. Whereas gcc is open source GNU C Compiler.

MCU10.5 has both Freescale CW and GCC v4.6.2 build tools. User can select tools of his choice. You will see there's an option to choose compiler when creating a new bareboard project for Kinetis.

I attached two documents, one is to explain why we add GCC compiler from CW10.3, the other is to show how to porting a project to GCC compiler. Hope they could help!

0 Kudos
ZhangJennie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

these two compilers are developed by different company.

Freescale ARM compiler is developed by Freescale. The ARM GCC GNU toolchain used is the one which is provided and maintained by ARM Inc. in the Launchpad.

in CW10 earlier versions, it supports Freescale ARM compiler only.  the recent versions integrated ARM GCC compiler. since then, Freescale will not go on developing ARM compiler. but only maintains for it.

0 Kudos