cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FRDM-K66F doesn't boot up after reset

AmIWho
Contributor I

Hello,

Today I wanted to start working with my brand new FRDM-K66F, but since I use Win11 it wasn't that easy. To get it working i tried reset and the microcontroller was finally seen by the computer as BOOTLOADER. I've looked up this problem and found out that it can be solved by giving 0244_k20dx_bl_0x8000.bin to K66F. After that the board turned off and won't turn on back. Using K66 Micro USB port demo is working, but with OpenSDAv2.1 nothing is happening. Also tried connecting it to the PC with Ubuntu 20.04, the result is the same.

What should I do?

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

nxf56274
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,

The development board has two mcu, one is k66 and the other is k20. The k20 is used for debugging the k66. The program in k20 has two parts. One is bootloader and the other is debugging firmware. We use bootloader to update the debugging firmware. Hold the reset button and power on, you will see the disk like 'bootloader' or 'maintenance'. Drag the debugging firmware into the disk to finish updating the firmware. If the disk shows 'bootloader', the bootloader is the old version. You need to update it. Because the debug firmware needs the new bootloader. You need a external debugger(like Jlink)  to flash the  0244_k20dx_bl_0x8000.bin. Follow the attachment to update the bootloader.

BR,

Da

0 Kudos

AmIWho
Contributor I

That's exactly where the problem is. It doesn't boot up at all using OpenSDAv2.1 port. Not even demo is working. And of course, the computer doesn't see it at all, regardless of whether the reset button is pressed or not.

0 Kudos

nxf56274
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

It means your bootlaoder may be broken. You need an external debugger to flash the bootloader.

0 Kudos