Connecting Arduino Multifunction shield to FRDM KL25Z board!

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting Arduino Multifunction shield to FRDM KL25Z board!

suma_success
Contributor II

I need help in configuring the seven segment display on the multi function shield with the FRDM KL25Z board. I have soldered the pins of the shield to the FRDM board .

Thank you in advance.

0 Kudos
6 Replies

mignacio
Contributor III

Hi Suma,

I have no direct experience with Arduino Multifunction LCD display.

But I have had experience in programming an NXP MKL28Z to display a custom-built LED 7 segment x 4 characters display based on TI 8560 display driver.

This does not directly answer your request but I hope it gives you an idea what you need to tackle in programming LCD modules.

Have you tried the display first with an Arduino uno or mega?   If yes, then it is a matter of "copying" the program from Arduino's IDE and adapting it to ANSI C language program in MCUXpresso.

Or else if you need to go low-level than what's programmed in the uno or mega, then you really need to go learn how to program the display driver on that LCD display board.

In low-level programming (directly sending commands to the display driver IC onboard):

Basically you need to know exactly what the display driver IC is on Arduino LCD because your NXP MCU needs to send "commands" to that display driver onboard to turn on/off segments and registers.   You need to learn those segment registers mapping and control lines.   I communicated with the custom LCD display board and its TI 8560 display driver via I2C lines.

Looks like your display is by SPI lines?   

Then you'll just need to send the commands via SPI.

Just for background info.

MI

0 Kudos

kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Suma Rao

KL25 doesn't have the SLCD module, if you want to use the 7 segment display, you need to use the GPIO to control each your 7 Segment display directly. Then the detail pins, it is determined by your hardware connection. You can check your hardware connection, then control the related GPIO pin directly in the code.

You also can use the FRDM-KL46, this board already contains the SLCD display, and th KL46 have the SLCD module.

Wish it helps you!

If you still have questions about it, please kindly let me know.

Best Regards,

Kerry

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note:
- If this post answers your question, please click the "Mark Correct" button. Thank you!

- We are following threads for 7 weeks after the last post, later replies are ignored
Please open a new thread and refer to the closed one, if you have a related question at a later point in time.

suma_success
Contributor II

pastedImage_1.png

Thank you for your reply Kerry Zhou. As in the attached pic , I have mounted a ,multifunction shield on the FRDM KL25Z board . I need to configure the pins of the board with the sheild. I see that the PTA13 on board is connected to 7 segment display and the latch and clock pins . However , I do not know how to proceed. Any help will be appreciated.

0 Kudos

kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Suma Rao

So cool connection.

You also can share your segment LED board schematic to me, then I will help you to check it.

I don't know you use the chip to conrol the segment LED or not? Seems  you need to control the related driver chip.

Then you need to know what the signal your board is needed, then you can use the FRDM board code to give the related signal.

Wish it helps you!

Best Regards,

Kerry

Note:
- If this post answers your question, please click the "Mark Correct" button. Thank you!

- We are following threads for 7 weeks after the last post, later replies are ignored
Please open a new thread and refer to the closed one, if you have a related question at a later point in time.

0 Kudos

suma_success
Contributor II

pastedImage_1.pngpastedImage_2.png

Dear Kerry Zhou ,

The connections of the multifunction sheild pins to the FRDM KL25Z board is as in the first image. The seven segment LED is configures as image 2 in the sheild. Could you please help me integrate the two to display a number on the seven segement display?

Thank you so much for your guidance,

Suma

0 Kudos

kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Suma Rao

From your picture 2, you need to know, the relationship with your LCHCLK, SFTCLK and the SDI.

Take an example, when you want to display one word in the 4 Segment LCDs, the detailed wave it needed, then you can use the MCU to give the related wave.

In you picture 2, you give the serial Data In data, it is 16 bit data, but you didn't give the related LCHCLK, LCHCLK, so you still need to check your own board related document, find which detail wave it needed, and the LCHCLK, LCHCLK bit rate. Then in the code, you even can use the GPIO associated with the timer to simulate the wave.

Wish it helps you!

Best Regards,

Kerry

Note:

0 Kudos