cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Availability and future of the MKE1xZ family

MarcoAEE
Contributor II

Hi,
I wanted to understand what happens on many product lines of the Kinetis family, I haven't been available for too long. What will their future be?
In particular, I have been working on a project for a couple of years based on the MKE15Z128VLL7. I can get the samples from NXP but it is impossible to purchase it from the normal supply channels.
Can you give me an explanation?
I see that other products in the Kinetis family also have the same problem, can you give to the designers clear information so they can decide what to do?
Another example of a microcontroller for which I have difficulty is MK22FN1M0VLQ12 but I could mention others...
Thank you
Marco

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

MarcoAEE
Contributor II

HI,
Thanks for the reply. I understand this is a technical forum but we designers need to know whether or not a component can be used in a project. When I chose the KE1xZ family I checked the longevity of the NXP products, they are declared extended! However, if after a short time after their release they are no longer easily available (currently we are talking about 2 years or more), it is a problem!
It would therefore be commercially important to ensure greater transparency about the future of your Kinetis product lines, at least those for which you have declared long longevity.
Thank you

Marco

0 Kudos

bobpaddock
Senior Contributor III

There are several past discussions about availability in the forms here.

The Tech Support people here have no more insight to the mind of a Bean Counter, who determines what parts get fabbed on any given day, than you or I.  

To summarize the past discussions, these parts are considered 'Old' by both NXP and Distribution and they are competing with NXP's new, more profitable, parts.  As 'Old' parts they are build on old fab lines that are also competing with lots of other 'Old' parts for that fab time..  It comes down to that no one wants to build New Fabs for Old line part geometries.  This is really going to hurt someday when the Bean Counters and Politicians realize you can't build things like power diodes in a 2 nm process.

Look for alternatives outside of the Kinetis line.  Preferably built on newer processes to avoid the same bottle neck.  Yes, it sucks.  We are all feeling that pain.  As well as the extended availability promises being broken and proved meaningless.

0 Kudos

_Leo_
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

Thank you so much for your interest in our products and for using our community.

Regarding availability, I afraid to inform you that we do not discuss this in more detail here, as it is out of scope of our technical support service. So I recommend you to check our authorized Distributor Network that we have available for your entity so they can inform you about the quantity they have available, sometimes on our website there are no products available, but our distributors can have some stock for this product.

Hope it helps you.

Have a nice day!

0 Kudos