cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USBDM FRDM-K22 "BDM has no connection to target"

Jump to solution
nathanz
Contributor III

Has anyone used USBDM w/ the FRDM-K22 dev board? I am having issues programming the onboard K22 processor.

I loaded USBDM "OpenSDAv2_1.bin" onto the bootloader. With the default jumper positions I get "BDM has no connection to target" when attempting to do a "detect chip". I can however program the onboard K22 processor by using my FRDM-KL25Z dev board w/ USBDM + a programming cable. Anyone else have a similar issue? Is there some hardware modifications required for programming the onboard processor w/ USBDM SDA?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
pgo
Senior Contributor V

Hi Nathan,

I have blown up the only K22f board that I had so I can't test at the moment.

Then only suggestions I have is to make sure that you have turned on the target power in the interface page or in the debug options in KDS.  It may also be more reliable at a higher frequency (for some reason!)

Mass-erasing with the stand-alone programmer is probably the best test of the connection.

I take it that the interface is correctly detected by the stand-alone programmer?

bye

View solution in original post

6 Replies
pgo
Senior Contributor V

Hi Nathan,

I have blown up the only K22f board that I had so I can't test at the moment.

Then only suggestions I have is to make sure that you have turned on the target power in the interface page or in the debug options in KDS.  It may also be more reliable at a higher frequency (for some reason!)

Mass-erasing with the stand-alone programmer is probably the best test of the connection.

I take it that the interface is correctly detected by the stand-alone programmer?

bye

nathanz
Contributor III

Hey PGO,

Many thanks for your work with USBDM. I'd be happy to send you a K22F board if you need a replacement. The target power did the trick. I can now program the onboard processor with USBDM. However, I cannot program an offboard processor with that board. For example 2 K22 dev boards, 1 as programmer, 1 as target. I think there may be a hardware flaw with the board that prevents this. I have tried every jumper combination I can think of as well as cut the traces that isolate the boards. Here is a pic of my setup:

JTAG_IMG.jpg

J10 & J13 connected on programmer board to connect programer to header.

J7 trace cut on both boards. Jumped on target to connect SWD_CLK to target MCU.

Using J11 headers for programming (they are labeled JTAG in silkscreen but is actually the SWD connector with SWD_DIO, SWD_CLK, & RST signals)

This does not work however. I believe there might be a conflict between the RST lines or SWD_DIO lines since these are directly connected together on both boards and there is no easy way to cut the traces / isolate them. I can however program both these MCUs externally using this configuration with my FRDM-KL25Z board. Not sure whats up.

0 Kudos
nathanz
Contributor III

Figured it out....

Those jumper settings are correct. However, it is crucial that the programmer board's processor not be mass-erased. Unfortunately, the Kinetics MCU's RST pin is an output as well as an input. When mass erased, the RST pin produces a periodic pulse that will disrupt programming on the target board's MCU. The target boards MCU can be saftely mass-erased, you just can't have 2 MCUs on the same RST line mass erased without issues. Also as PGO mentioned, the target board should have power as well.

0 Kudos
ZhangJennie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi.

FRDM-K22 board, please use attached DEBUG-FRDM-K22F_Pemicro_v108b_for_OpenSDA_v2.1.bin for this board.

after dragging  this file in bootload mode, reconnect the board we will see OpenSDA valid in device manager:

pastedImage_1.png

then refer attached video to connect board with KDS.

can this help you?

Have a great day,
Zhang Jun

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos
nathanz
Contributor III

Hey Zhang,

See my previous reply, though I did want to try what you sent me to simply see if it would work externally. However, I could not program externally or the onboard MCU.

Got this error message when I attempted to do what you did in the video programming the onboard micro:

pastedImage_1.png

Here is the connection assistant window after the debug error is generated:

pastedImage_2.png

Here is my setup (working in device manager after firmware uploaded to bootloader)

pastedImage_0.png

Here are my debug settings:

pastedImage_3.png

Here is my successful build of the project in kinetis studios with processor expert setup for the MK22FN512VLH12

pastedImage_4.png

I am able to debug if I use the USBDM firmware but not the OpenSDA firmware you shared. Any ideas?

Many thanks for your previous reply.

0 Kudos
nathanz
Contributor III

Hey Zhang,

Are the "freedom" boards with Pemicro programing methods still limited to only programming the onboard processor type only? Most of us have been avoiding anything to do with the pemicro after the intial "Freedom" KL25Z boards were limited to programming only the onboard processor. Turned off many users from ever trying or continuing to use these boards. I haven't kept up with "open"SDA/pe methods since then. Has anything changed in that regards?

0 Kudos