cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OTA update over UART on K32L2A4S

sb_007
Contributor I

Hi,

I am working on OTA firmware to update K32L2A41VLL1A microcontroller. I am using FRDM-K32L2A4S devkit to test OTA.

I am using LPUART to transfer the firmware. My master microcontroller is nRF52840 which is running my OTA module to transfer firmware to NXP chip.

Since I am using devkit as of now,  I manually put it in bootloader by pressing RESET and NMI switches present on board.

As per the Kinetis documentation, I have to send PING command first in order to initiate communication with the bootloader to send any commands. But when I send PING command, I am not receiving PING_RESPONSE back. I verified transmitted data over UART using logic analyzer. I tested the code with 9600 and 115200 baudrates.

I have attached screenshot from the reference manual of all the supported pins and peripherals by bootloader. I am using PTD2 and PTD3 pins (i.e. LPUART2 instance) as other UART pins are not exposed on devkit. I was planning to use PTA1 and PTA2 pins (LPUART0 instance).

Thanks and Regards,

Sahil

0 Kudos
1 Reply

xiangjun_rong
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

Pls refer to the following website:

MCU Bootloader | NXP Semiconductors

On the host side(nRF52840), you have to develop the software like blhost tools. The blhost tools is open source, you can refer to it and adapts it to the host MCU. It is okay to port the blhost tools to MCU, but the task is huge I suppose.

Bootloader Host Application (blhost)

On the target side FRDM-K32L2A4S, the bootloader is not integrated into the flash of KV31, you have to install it to the flash of KV31. Pls refer to Kinetis Bootloader Demo Application user Guide I attached.

The bootloader project is also in SDK package, you can compile and download it to flash of K32L2.

https://mcuxpresso.nxp.com/en/welcome

Hope it can help you

BR

XiangJun Rong

0 Kudos