Configuration help for connecting NXP RD33771-48VEVM board to FreeMaster via CAN

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Configuration help for connecting NXP RD33771-48VEVM board to FreeMaster via CAN

AVBMS
Contributor II

Hello,

I am currently working on a Battery Management project that involves connecting the NXP RD33771-48VEVM  board to FreeMaster via CAN communication. I have been using the development software provided by NXP, and added FreeMaster communication driver and initializing it in the BMS_5744P_main.c file. I am using the PCAN driver for CAN communication.

While I have been successful in receiving CAN messages in PCAN-View. But I am having difficulty connecting the EVB to FreeMaster. I believe that there may be some configuration settings that I need to adjust in the development software in order to establish this connection.

Could you please provide guidance on what configuration settings I need to adjust in the development software in order to connect the RD33771-48VEVM board to FreeMaster via CAN?

I have attached the entire project files for reference, including the BMS_5744P_main.c file, the initialization code for the Freemaster Driver, and the configuration settings for the CAN bus.

I am using these configuration in FreeMaster. (What is Command Message ID and Response Message ID?)

AVBMS_3-1677755798337.png

I am getting this error.

AVBMS_2-1677755530756.png

Thank you for your time and assistance.

0 Kudos
4 Replies

iulian_stan
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi @AVBMS,

I did not see any issues with your configuration. By commenting all the code in the main loop beside FMSTR_Poll function call I was able to connect to FreeMASTER.

Capture.PNG

Capture1.PNG

Capture2.PNG 

Unfortunately, I don't have the same setup so I did a test on a MPC744P and IXXAT Can adapter. Could you do a similar test on your side and let me know if that works (to exclude any setup mismatch issues).

The most probable source of your issue is that you already use CAN0 instance for your own communication that may interfere with FreeMASTER communication (both on host and target side).

0x7aa id the default Command & Response Message ID - it is defined in freemaster_defcfg.h.

0 Kudos

AVBMS
Contributor II

Hello,

Thank you for reply.

By commenting all the code in the main loop beside FMSTR_Poll function call, I was able to connect to FreeMaster.

But my intention was to connect the Board (RD33771-48VEVM) to GUI (shown below) in the FreeMaster via CAN. I was able to connect it through CAN communication.

AVBMS_0-1678278527480.png

I am this receiving this error. 

AVBMS_1-1678278578022.png

So, Is there any particular GUI for BMS and for this particular Board. or Is there any possibility to use CAN0 directly with the Freemaster.

I attached the screenshot of the setup documentation for GUI provided in RD33771-48VEVM board - User manual.

AVBMS_2-1678278811355.png

Furthermore I attached the GUI file (FreeMASTER_project.pmp) and User manual for your reference.

0 Kudos

iulian_stan
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi @AVBMS,

Connecting a GUI made for another application to your setup would be quite a tedious task.
Just a few reasons why:
1. FreeMASTER uses it's own communication protocol (not the one described in the application notes).
2. The "custom" GUI is highly dependable on the embedded application, meaning FreeMASTER_project.pmp won't work out of the box with the embedded project you previously attached.

Please find my answers to your other questions bellow:

Q: Is there any particular GUI for BMS and for this particular Board ?
A: According to the application notes this particular setup has no GUI. "Users can develop a GUI by following the communication protocol and with the help of the third party USB-CAN tool and GUI development tool." (users are expected to implement their own GUI using 3rd party tools)
You can reach out to NXP representatives you got this setup from to find more about software offerings. There is also Powertrain and Electrification Analog Drivers community space where you can ask for more info.

Q: Is there any possibility to use CAN0 directly with the Freemaster.
A: No. As long CAN0 is used by another piece of the application (not FreeMASTER Driver) it will interfere with FreeMASTER communication.

Hope it helps,
Iulian

0 Kudos

AVBMS
Contributor II

Hello,

Thank you for the insight.

If I Build > Debug > Run the development software. I will receive message from CAN ID: 18803000. This CAN ID message is not mentioned in the CAN communication protocol (User manual, Table 7). Is there any document where these details are described. I tried debugging. I am receiving this message from switch case BCC_Init. What is reason for it?

AVBMS_0-1678291910652.png

If I manually send the Transmit message from PCAN – That is C2 for initializing – then I will receive message from CAN ID: 18808000. What are these messages. Even it is not detailed in CAN protocol. I am receiving this message from switch case BCC_Measure.

AVBMS_1-1678291969771.png

Do I need to initialize (C2) every time manually when I power the board?

I attached the CAN messages received in PCAN View for your reference.

AVBMS_2-1678292214667.png

Thank you in advance.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos