cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TBLCF open source debugging cable

DanielM
Contributor III
Hello everybody,

for the benefit of the ColdFire users community I am releasing an open-source debugging cable. The cable works with CodeWarrior version 6.3. You can download evaluation version of CodeWarrior 6.3 here:

https://www.freescale.com/lgfiles/updates/CWCF/CW_ColdFire_6.3_Update.exe

Cost of components for the cable is under $10.

Feedback on functionality and/or any problems is most welcome.

I will be updating this post with new releases in case of bug fixes or other improvements.

I have added a zip file with the PCB design in EPS and BMP formats.

Daniel

Message Edited by DanielM on 2006-10-13 11:03 AM

tblcf_v10.zip

eps_and_bmp_v2B.zip

Message Edited by t.dowe on 2009-09-02 04:58 PM
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
110 Replies

beanhauler
Contributor I
I do not have the facility to do this......need a plugin i think to codewarrior/license

In any event this is a webserver app so needs to fly on silicon!!

Thanks for the suggestion though

Chris
0 Kudos

DanielM
Contributor III
Hi everybody,

I am a bit busy lately and unable to follow the discussions on this site.

Kris - I will not be disclosing source files to the schematic nor the PCB, sorry. My past experience is that doing so creates more questions than it answers as people try to tinker with them and open them in incompatible revisions of the tools. Track sizes can be changed in gerber utilities (such as CAM350).

Techgeek - what you are trying to do should work. Make sure the oscillator is working (try a scope if you have one, set the probe to 10x mode). Make sure that the oscillator area on the PCB is clean of flux and other dirt. Leakage current can lead to oscillator start-up problems either requiring a lower bias resistor to overcome it or a proper PCB clean-up. Also try playing with the cap on RST pin. A higher or lower value might help windows to recognize the device (there seems to be a bug in the ROM code of the micro this capacitor is trying to work around). If everything fails, you can always use the RS232 to program the code in, that is how I have developed the firmware in the first place.

Mark - be careful here - I have never tried to use the code with the other polarity so it might not work properly. TA and RSTI are OC outputs. I have tried to optimize the code for speed and I suspect you will not be able to make it much faster on this micro. Also the raw speed of the devices is not everything. The 908 is not the fastest micro, but the only place where this matters is flash or ram download. Ordinary debugging has its bottleneck in the time granularity of full speed USB (1ms). This does not sound like much but when you consider the number of registers and memory locations which need to be read out on every step through your code... This could be improved 8x by going to hi speed USB. Something like S12UF32 could be used (making the interface far more difficult to build, program,... ). I have created TBLCF to be simple to build and low cost. If you need much faster speed you are probably better off buying one of the professional tools which have other advantages on top like a trace buffer.

Daniel

0 Kudos

techgeek
Contributor I
Daniel,

Thanks for the response. I had been trying to get my TBLCF device detected with Win2K without any success. However, Windows 98 detected it and I was able to program the JB16 with the firmware that you have provided.

There are some differences from what is described in the TBLCF manual.
(1) 3 busses found (instead of 4 in the manual)
(2) Programming/Verifying block from 0xBA00 to 0xCC74 (instead of 0xCD5A in the manual)

After programming the firmware, on disconnecting and re-connecting the TBLCF,  Win98 is able to detect a USB device but unable to install the tblcf driver. Win2K/XP do not recognise the USB device at all.

Please give your valuable suggestions to overcome this problem.

0 Kudos

JackyReric
Contributor I
Hi techgreek,
When i program firmware to the HC908JB16 the screen is the same to you, the TBLCF debugger will work fine. If window does not recognise the USB device try to unplug the PCB and plug again slowly.
0 Kudos

bluehacker
Contributor III
hi!
does TBLCF  support coldfire v4 core  processor? such as mcf5407, mcf54455?
thanks
0 Kudos

ChrisJohns
Contributor I
Hi,

The TBLCF should support these processors. The BDM project on Sourceforge has support for the v4e core and I have just committed a patch adding support for the 5307 core. The 52235 support is underway.

http://bdm.sourceforge.net/

The 5407 processor is a difficult one to support with BDM due to the SSI bit missing in the CSR register. The 54455 will need some code changes to work but this is all host software. I suspect this chip has the BDM force command to recover the processor when it enters a lock up state but this is currently not implemented in the firmware.

The firmware needs a costly commercial compiler that I do not have (not want). I would like to port the code to the sdcc compiler so an open source compiler can be used to maintain the firmware.

Regards
Chris
0 Kudos

M_de_Jong
Contributor I
Hello Daniel,

Great work, thanks for sharing....

I am designing a new (small about 3,7cm x 2,5cm) PCB for the TBLCF,
with level converter for all BDM signal.

Am I correct that if I use not inverting buffers I will have to compile the firmware code with the
"#undef INVERT" in "options.h"?

The signals "TA" and "RSTI" are open-collector outputs for the 68HC908JB16?

What controller could I use if I want to make a faster version?

Can you please send me email with a confirmation that I can sell the PCBs.
If you like to receive one, please include your address.

Regards Mark,
0 Kudos

DanielM
Contributor III
Mark,

I forgot to mention - your PCB is your own intellectual property and what you do with it is 100% up to you.

Daniel

0 Kudos

JimDon
Senior Contributor III
I do wish I could get you to fix TBDML. When the PLL is engaged on processors like the DP it can't read the registers (except the PC).
0 Kudos

techgeek
Contributor I
Hi Daniel,

I just built my TBLCF device using a free sample of MC908JB16JDWE that I got from Freescale. But when I connect it to my USB it is not detected. Other gadgets (scanner,printer) are working when connected to my USB without problems. Tried connecting on different computers too. Suspecting the MC908.. chip on the TBLCF, I have replaced it too. But windows doesn't detect it at all. Please advise.

I want to try to get the firmware in the MC908 with just the minimum connections as shown here: Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Will this arrangement work? Thanks.

Message Edited by techgeek on 2008-05-21 02:28 AM
0 Kudos

avrkris
Contributor I
Hi techageek

I had simillar problem with my unit. I coudn't get it to work. The probem was tha oscillator woudn't start. It only started working when I removed R1 and used my finger (touched the bottom of the pcb) while plugging it into the usb socket. This suggests that R1 has to be changed, but I've not had a chance to experiment with R1 values. Try using smaller (eg 5.7M) and see if it's any better.

Thanks
Kris
0 Kudos

techgeek
Contributor I
Hi Kris,

Thanks for that tip, but I am not yet lucky. I have tried with various values for R1; the oscillator is working alright on a CRO too. But still its not being detected by the USB port. Any suggestions?

Thanks
0 Kudos

avrkris
Contributor I
Hi

Can't really think of anything else...As mentioned above my circuit was dead as well, couldn't get it to work. I than prepared another one and by accident missed R1. The new circuit didn't work as well. Than  I touched the board while plugging it in and it sprang to life! Making me very happy. Since than I have to touch the board in the oscillator area to get it to start. I was blaming R1 - but it may be something else - it's just I didn't have a chance to look into it.
In your case, as long as the oscillator is working, and you USB connection is fine it should work without a problem... Are you using USB socket on the board or have you soldered the cable into the board?

Thanks
Kris
0 Kudos

techgeek
Contributor I
Kris, I am using a USB socket on the board.

Daniel - if you are following this thread -

I have gone through the documentation of your TBDML device, where you have used the IRQ pin of the HC908JB08 MCU to boot into monitor mode and then load the firmware using RS-232.

The datasheet of MC908JB16 also describes the IRQ pin as having identical function, but its not used in TBLCF. Is it possible to program the firmware in this MCU in the same way as that of TBDML? Your advice and suggestions to overcome this problem are eagerly awaited.

Thanks.
0 Kudos

avrkris
Contributor I
Hi

What Daniel is using in his TBLCF is what I belive the ICP method described in AN2399 (do a search on the application notes). This allows you to program blank microcontroller with just the usb connection and 2 resistors.

techgeek - I don't think Daniel is following the post at the moment, I've tried contacting him about the pcb files without any luck ... I ended up buying the pcbs from http://www.thepcbshop.com/

Thanks
Kris
0 Kudos

hwn
Contributor I
Hello DanielM,

i have tested the TBLCF and it works very well with my own MCF5213-Board and Codewarrior V7!

I developed a new PCB-Layout with EAGLE and i want do sale the complete PCB to my students and other interrested persons.

Do you (DanielM) allow me to do this?
I found no other Method to contact You!

Best Regards
Prof. H.W. Neuschwander
Fachhochschule Kaiserslautern
University of applied sciences
hans.neuschwander@fh-kl.de
0 Kudos

DanielM
Contributor III
Hello,

of course, not a problem. Could you let this message board know once you are ready to sell the finished product so people know how to contact you and what the price is?

I will send you an e-mail as well to confirm.

Daniel
0 Kudos

avrkris
Contributor I
Hi Daniel

Any chance you could post the pcb file(protel/orcad or whatever you use) for your version of the board. I'm desperate to build a prototype myself but I need to change some of the track sizes in order to be able to "produce" the pcb using some "home" methods :smileyhappy:

Thanks
Kris
0 Kudos

bkohan
Contributor II
Can I buy the PCB for the TBLCF?
0 Kudos

Kelben
Contributor I
Hi, Daniel

Thanks for your work. I have one question, your design is base on CodeWarrior V6.3 and add your TBLMF debugger in CodeWarrior by adding GDI.DLL file. I wonder can I use it in the latest version V7.0 as well?
0 Kudos

bluesky
Contributor I
Hi Daniel,

Have you tested the TBLCF ?
     Which series does it support?

Thank you!
0 Kudos