cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SPI linux driver: CS deasserting before the end of a message

AlexisVDB
Contributor I

Hello,

I'm currently working on some code to interface a GPIO extender with a 5484 custom board running a Linux provided by Freescale (LTIB). I'm using spidev driver but got some issues to make it work properly. Indeed when I'm sending N bytes to the SPI and monirtoring the signals on an oscilloscope I can see the following :

- The N-1 first bytes are sent one after the other with CS asserted. SPI clock is ticking

- CS gets deasserted during a few µs. No clock

- The last byte is then sent with CS asserted and SPI clock ticking

This is quite a problem for me as the GPIO chip interprets the CS deassertion as the end of the current message so that the chip sees one N-1 bytes long message and a second one of one byte.

Running the example provided by LTIB (SDI and SDO tied together to write and read back the message) with spi_test, I can see the same behaviour.

In my code, I'm initializing a spi_ioc_transfer with the cs_change = 0 so that the deassertion of CS should not happen.

Does anyone know where this behaviour comes from and how to avoid CS from being deselected in the middle of a message ?

Thank you a lot !

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply

raulen
Contributor III

Hello !

I guess you are using the 2.6.25 Linux version.

The "Device Errata" of this processor (MCF5485) says that the dspi presents the described problem.

I tried to solve it, but I had others tasks to do and I had to leave it. Now I am recovering this task again.

I opened a post called "Help with DSPI on MCF5485" in this forum. You can find info there that could be useful, although the device doesn't work properly yet.

0 Kudos