cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MCF5282 - Fast Ethernet Controller

venki_02
Contributor I
HI,
               I am a basic level programer in MCF5282. I have been getting confusion about the functionalities of FEC(Fast Ethernet Controller).
              My  confusion is that whether FEC  generate IP address or not. If anybody knows about the
 functionalities of  FEC and IP address generation or any related programs. Please suggest me
in this regard would be helpful for My project requirement.

By                                                                                              
venkat

--
Alban Edit: Message Subject line changed to be descriptive.

Message Edited by Alban on 2007-09-19 11:41 PM
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies

Alban
Senior Contributor II
This is a double post identical to HI,                I am a basic level programer in MCF528...

Please note that double posting as well as cross posting is unwelcome on Freescale Community.

This thread is now locked, refer to the 1st subject linked above.
0 Kudos

theJoel
Contributor III
Venkat,

The FEC is the Ethernet controller and has no knowledge of addressing at the higher (TCP/IP) layers. The FEC has a physical address that is globally unique, as assigned by the IEEE Registration Authority.

You must program the Ethernet address (the physical address) by writing the PALR and PAUR registers in the FEC.

IP address can be generated automatically, if your application supports DHCP. DHCP is an Application Layer protocol in the TCP/IP suite, the FEC does not interpret these messages.

For more info search "TCP/IP" on wikipedia.org

Regards,
Joel.

--
Alban Edit: Message Subject line changed to be descriptive.

Message Edited by Alban on 2007-09-19 11:41 PM
0 Kudos