MCF52210 USB Question

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MCF52210 USB Question

junkers13
Contributor I
Hi I just have a quick question.  Is it possible to communicate through USB from a PC to the microprocessor.  Say I wanted to send text through hyper terminal using USB, is it possible?

Thanks,
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies

RichTestardi
Senior Contributor II
> Say I wanted to send text through hyper terminal using USB, is it possible?

I have a driver that does just that -- it emulates a USB FTDI serial port, and the PC drivers automatically load from microsoft.com so you can talk to the MCU.  It also has terminal line editing and a small history buffer.  You can see the source code here:

You'll need the low level usb driver and the upper level ftdi driver.  I'm eventually going to post a full project with dual-mode (host/device) USB functionality, but for now the individual files are there.  I'm happy to help you get the sources running if you want to e-mail rich@testardi.com.

-- Rich
0 Kudos

RichTestardi
Senior Contributor II
And just to follow up, I posted an example skeleton project (skeleton.zip) on the webpage above which runs an FTDI serial port and simple command line interface on the M52221DEMO board, along with built-in administrative commands to perform flash cloning over ezport to a target board as well as S19 file firmware upgrading over the USB.  If you run it and connect with HyperTerminal and press <Enter>, you'll see:

Welcome to XXX v0.9!
Copyright (c) 2008; all rights reserved.
> help
commands:
  clone [run]
  help
  reset
  upgrade
  uptime
for more information:
  help about
  help clone
> _
0 Kudos